DrThomasMD
DrThomasMD, Board certified general medicine
Experience:  Treat babies to elderly with medical and integrative therapies; all situations; innovative treatment
24257177

My baby is 5 months old and I want to slowly start him on solids.

My baby is 5 months old and I want to slowly start him on solids. I was thinking of Cerelac or the Gerber rice cereal as an option. Personally I would lean toward Cerelac just because my mother gave it to me. But recently there is a lot of talk about not giving infants sugar. Why is this?

Hello

There is not any reason to give a baby solid food before 6 months, and this reduces the change that there will be food allergies and other problems. In fact start nothing yet unless there is a reason.

Sugar is a refined carb and not a naturally occuring food.

The early you give it the more likely you are to disrupt biochemistry, appetite cues and insulin secretion.

Not a good idea at all.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert. Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.