Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

About 6 months ago my 15-year old son became very sick - high

About 6 months ago my 15-year old son became very sick - high fever, sore throat, with a rash developing all over his body at about day 2-3. He slept almost around the clock and ate very little. He was tested for strep and mono and both came back negative. He was treated with Biaxin as he is allergic to penicillin and cephlosporins. It took well over a week for him to feel better and still was exhausted for longer. No one that we know of was sick before or after, suggesting maybe it wasn't very contagious.

Anyway, the fever started Tuesday night and he has been progressing down the same path with the same symptoms. He was tested again for strep which was negative and we are waiting for bloodwork to rule out mono which I'm sure will also be negative. Again no one he has been near has been or is sick. Is there anything we should be looking for? Is there anyway to reduce the time to recuperate? Heather

PediatricMD :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

PediatricMD :

I am sorry to hear about your son's problems

PediatricMD :

Is he having the same kind of rash again?

PediatricMD :

Can you describe the rash if possible?

PediatricMD :

The most common cause would still be some sort of mildly contagious viral infection

PediatricMD :

& this unfortunately takes its own sweet time to become better

PediatricMD :

However, resting a lot, plenty of fluids, and taking a good quality vitamin supplement may help in recovering sooner,

PediatricMD :

If the symptoms continue to recur then evaluation for rare causes of conditions like Periodic Fever syndromes and immunity related problems may be warranted,

PediatricMD :

BUT not at this point of time, in my opinion,

PediatricMD :

Please get back for any clarifications,

PediatricMD :

Do leave a positive feedback if the answer was helpful,

PediatricMD :

Warm regards

PediatricMD :

Dr Gupta, MD