Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

My friend has a son, who is two years and 10 months old. Her

My friend has a son, who is two years and 10 months old. Her son has been getting sick for the last year. Every time he gets in the water and gets a little cold he starts sneezing,coughing , and having hevy breething and a runny nose with very thick white discharge. She took him to a specialist, who without performing any testing diagnosed him with astma and prescribed him albuterol and nasonex. she isnt giving him albuterol at all and Nasonex didnt help the discharge go away. She wants to know whether her child is going through a certain age related symptoms and whether they are going to go away on its own? She Doesn't believe he really has asthma.

PediatricMD :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

PediatricMD :

It would appear that asthma is a possibility in this situation

PediatricMD :

This would be more likely if there is a family history of allergies (hay fever, asthma, eczema etc.) in the family members

PediatricMD :

Allergy testing is NOT recommended for most kids below 5 years age unless there are specific symptoms related to a clear cut allergen exposure, OR the child is not controlled on the regular treatment

PediatricMD :

Harsh though it may sound, parental belief plays little role in the diagnosis of asthma, and most parents have difficulty in believing this ...

PediatricMD :

My duaghter (3.5 year old) has asthma,

PediatricMD :

since 1.5 year age,

PediatricMD :

and we are giving her inhalers with good response

Customer: There is no family history of those conditions
PediatricMD :

I think using albuterol, and a preventive medication (like budesonide etc.) may help relieve her son's symptoms

PediatricMD :

Alright, that does not preclude the diagnosis of asthma

PediatricMD :

In any case, asthma or chest allergies at this age are something many kids will grow out of when they get to around 5-6 years age

Customer: How is asthma diagnosed at that age?
PediatricMD :

so in a sense she is right, the symptoms are age related (viral infection associated wheeze - WALRI) and may improve with the passage of time ...

PediatricMD :

Asthma diagnosis is basically on history and examination at this age

PediatricMD :

The history of recurrent colds / fever followed by relatively prolonged coughing

Customer: There are no specific tests?
PediatricMD :

and the finding of wheezing on auscultation with a stethoscope are the mainstay of diagnosis & treatment

PediatricMD :

There are specific tests that can be performed like skin allergy tests & blood tests like RAST, allergy panels etc.

PediatricMD :

but are generally not helpful at this age for 2 reasons

PediatricMD :

1) They are unlikely to be positive

PediatricMD :

2) We are unable to use them to create specific immunotherapy treatment since children less than 5 years are generally not treated by immunotherapy due to chances of reactions

Customer: Should she give him albuterol or just wait until he grows out of it?
PediatricMD :

Finally, as mentioned above, many kids will outgrow these symptoms by around 5-6 years

PediatricMD :

Albuterol certainly, it helps relieve the symptoms and make the child comfortable

PediatricMD :

and does not lead to any dependance / side effects

Customer: But it doesn't treat?
PediatricMD :

It treats, but does not cure ....

PediatricMD :

cure is generally time bound and happens with increasing age, and proper treatment of symptoms

Customer: Does it have bad side effects or would it harm the child's health?
PediatricMD :

the better you treat symptoms early on, the better are the chances of curing the disease

Customer: I see. Any other recommendations in regards XXXXX XXXXX condition? Like diet or lifestyle? Thank you so much for your help.
PediatricMD :

You are welcome :) no specific recommendations at present, continue regular lifestyle, lots of fruits salads and healthy diet, avoid too much processed / preserved food and take albuterol as needed