Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

My son whos about to be 4 months and otherwise healthy has

My son who's about to be 4 months and otherwise healthy has been both breast and formula fed since he was born. About 6 days ago he developed diarrhea and maybe on 2 diapers I found specs of blood. I took him to the doctor on the 3rd day and they found no virus present, so they suggested it could be a lactose intolerance and I was told to give him a soy formula and continue breastfeeding and eliminate dairy from my diet. They told me to give him Mylanta every 6 to 8 hrs and culturelle probiotics.. The diarrhea is still an issue a week later. He now is refusing to drink the soy formula, he moves his head away from the bottle and fusses a lot. I tried giving him Nutramigen, and I had no luck. I am wondering, if this is a lactose intolerance problem shouldn't his diarrhea at least gotten better or gone away? Why is this happening and what do you suggest I do? On a side note, I have been reading on the studies regarding soy consumption by infants and I feel like I don't want him drinking this anymore. Please fee free to ask additional information. Thanks.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

If it were lactose intolerance then switching to soy but continuing to nurse would NOT avoid lactose since breast milk contains lactose!

Dr. A. Clark :

Eliminating dairy from your diet would not change the composition of your breast milk so I have to say I'm a bit confused by the advice you got, but I suppose that is why you are here and I'm happy to help.

Customer:

I did bring up that point to his pediatrician but she said so far the breastmilk had never been an issue before, so she said to continue breastfeeding...

Dr. A. Clark :

Soy doesn't taste that good and Nutramigen even worse and at his age taste is important.

Dr. A. Clark :

I suggest you just keep nursing and offer the same formula you've been giving all along. A little blood in the stool is not worrisome and actually common with diarrhea when infants have lots of loose stools and is generally just due to a small tear at the anus, called a fissure.

Dr. A. Clark :

So, as you can probably tell, I'm not too concerned about the diarrhea and the specs of blood as neither is harmful as long as he is eating well. It can take a couple of weeks for his stools to return to their normal consistency.

Customer:

she did check to see if he had a fissure but there was nothing. The blood was mixed with mucus in his stool, therefore, she thought it was worth to check for a virus.

Dr. A. Clark :

There really isn't a test for a virus but only bacterial infections like salmonella, shigella, e.coli, etc. Most all of these illnesses are viral and require nothing other than lots of fluids.

Customer:

The good thing is he is not dehydrated. However, I am concerned that he has so much diarrhea still.

Dr. A. Clark :

Also, most fissures are internal and cannot be seen by just spreading his cheeks.

Customer:

I see.

Dr. A. Clark :

Skip the soy/nutramigen, etc since all he needs is breast milk, extra fluids like Pedialyte, and time.

Customer:

So you're saying it's not out of the norm from time to time for babies to get diarrhea and maybe blood in the stool right? What should I expect once I return to using his regular formula?

Dr. A. Clark :

Right, as all kids catch little stomach bugs from time to time, even if no one in the home seems ill. Starting back on formula should go a lot better since he likes it and his stools will only get better, but still will be frequent.

Customer:

Ok. I will follow your directions and give it time. I appreciate your assistance and time today!

Dr. A. Clark :

You are quite welcome and please feel free to ask for me the next time you need a "seasoned" pediatrician's opinion.

Dr. A. Clark :

Have a great evening.

Customer:

you as well

Dr. A. Clark :
Please remember as you exit chat to rate my service as that is the only way experts are compensated for their time! If you feel unsatisfied with my answer at all please don't exit but just hit the REPLY tab and let me know of the issue or question that you have. I will be happy to continue working with you and will do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek and I hope that I can earn an excellent rating from you.

Dr. A. Clark :

If you have any further questions please let me know and I trust you will return to chat to rate my answer favorably. Thanks.

Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience: 33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.