Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

When my baby is in deep sleep his breathing is fine. But when

When my baby is in deep sleep his breathing is fine. But when he is half awake, his breathing is a lil faster. And sometimes its a like a pumping motion and not the smooth in and out that he does when he is in deep sleep.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

This is quite normal I assure you as it is called periodic breathing because it has a rhythm or periodicity to it. Shallow breaths that get deeper and deeper and then they stop completely for a few seconds and take a gasp. This pattern is present in all babies at birth, especially in premature babies, and is just a function of the immaturity of their brain.

Dr. A. Clark :

Over time this pattern becomes less and less apparent and goes away completely but I assure you that it is normal for a baby his age.

Customer:

Also, I find him fussing soooo much to go to sleep these days

Customer:

He is sleepy and his eyes are drooping and he refuses to be put to sleep

Customer:

and then when he does go to sleep FINALLY.. if he wakes up he cries.. really hard

Customer:

I really dont know how to tackle this

Dr. A. Clark :

You would be well to read Dr. Richard Ferber's book on sleep in children called "Solve Your Baby's Sleep Problems". He has some great advice for what you are seeing now and he tells you step by step how to fix it. I've never seen his techniques fail IF you follow his advice precisely.

Customer:

My pediatrician told me that at his age he needs to sleep 14hrs

Customer:

and should take 3 naps

Customer:

I want to make sure that he gets learning time and play time

Customer:

but between naps and feeding he seems busy thro the day@

Dr. A. Clark :

There is no "normal" for babies his age as you will see in Dr. Ferber's book. Download it now and you can start tonight.

Dr. A. Clark :

In a few days he will be sleeping all night and his naps will smooth out too.

Customer:

I will do that

Customer:

He sleeps thru the night

Customer:

that is not the prob

Dr. A. Clark :

Great. Good to hear from you.

Customer:

its his naps that get me concerned

Dr. A. Clark :

Very fixable!

Customer:

thanks doc :)

Customer:

I will check out the book

Dr. A. Clark :

You are quite welcome and it is available as an ebook from Kindle, Amazon, etc.

Dr. A. Clark :

Read the first chapters so you understand his technique and then skip to the chapters that are about your baby

Customer:

perfect!

Dr. A. Clark :

Have a great day. Bye.

Customer:

:) thanks for the tip

Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience: 33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.