Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

Treatment for childhood constipation followed by diarrhea

Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  JCBMD replied 1 year ago.

jbmd :

Hi--are you available to chat and did your child have any evaluation for this? It sounds on the surface like IBS (irritable bowel syndrome)

jbmd :

Very young children can get it but it is a diagnosis of exclusion, which means other problems have been ruled out

jbmd :

So, some of the disorders to be eliminated from consideration is celiac (wheat/gluten intolerance), inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis or Crohn's). Do any of these run in the family?

jbmd :

The site has shifted to another format and now will not let me answer. I suggest that you suggest a pediatric gastroenterologist (GI doc) examine the child

jbmd :

I want to help even if I cannot interact, so I looked up a site for you to examine and then I will opt out: http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/ibschildren/#8

jbmd :

Thank you for caring and for asking

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The child is my great grandchild and not in my care but the issue has

not been addessed except as constipation and the use of suppositories

were suggested.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
I still want an answer to my question and thought\
I could get the answer faster if I put it out to
the other doctors.
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 1 year ago.
I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your grandchild and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents and grandparents like you.

It sounds to me like chronic constipation which often will have intermittent loose stools, often with loss of control and soiling. Most children develop this over many weeks or months and the treatment protocol can take that long to correct the problem.

Suppositories are not the answer as they don't address the problem, which is diet. Here is a protocol that I've used for many years that is quite effective but has to be followed exactly and faithfully. You might print it out and pass it on to his parents and please let me know if you have any questions.

Here it is:

Chronic constipation is a common problem in children, especially boys. The protocol for treating this, while fairly simple, does require strict adherence to it for many weeks or months before the problem improves. Here it is and please let me know if you have questions:

First, all children with soiling have chronic constipation and have colons full of stool. This needs to be evacuated completely so buy a few Pediatric Fleet's Enemas and give him one now, one in the morning and then you can continue to use an enema if he goes more than 4 days without a stool.

Second, eliminate all dairy products from his diet for now as the calcium in dairy caused the colon to slow down and the calories from dairy products only spoil their appetite for other foods. Increase his intake of juices, especially apple juice, as this will help with keeping his stools soft along with the next step.

Start him on Miralax, 2 teaspoons daily in juice, to help keep his stool loose or soft and moving.

Over time his colon will shrink back down and he will regain his control over his bowels in time, but you should expect this protocol to work only if he is willing to participate fully in it.

He should sit on the toilet after each meal for 5-10 minutes to help retrain his bowel to respond to the natural urge of needing to empty after meals.

It may take weeks or months to see improvement but if you stick with this protocol I've yet to see a child not get better eventually.
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience: 33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
I trust you will return to this session and let me know if you need any more information. I see you looked at my advice last night at 8:25 so let me know if you have any questions.

If not I hope you will rate my advice as that is the only way experts are paid is for favorable ratings.

Thanks.