Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

My 10 year old daughter woke up yesterday with a rash from

My 10 year old daughter woke up yesterday with a rash from chin to cheeks. I gave her benedryl (two doses) and a shower. Only thing I can think of is she touched something that irritated her face or she ate irritated face with eating too much spaghetti sauces. What could be cause and should I be concerned? Or should I be treating her with a topical cream? And when do you take to dr? It's not spreading.

Dr. A. Clark :

Hi. I'm Dr. Clark and I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Is the rash raised and does it itch?

Customer: Yes to both
Dr. A. Clark :

Then it is likely just a contact dermatitis and perhaps the spaghetti sauce did it or it could be anything that she had on her hands or rubbed against her face. Even new toothpaste, dental floss, lip gloss, etc can do this.

Dr. A. Clark :

Other than benadryl you should apply a hydrocortisone cream to the area twice daily and the just watch for other areas to break out, as would be the case with poison ivy where the face often breaks out first.

Dr. A. Clark :

If she starts breaking out all over then you need to have someone take a look at her to see if she needs a prescriptions, such as an oral steroid perhaps.

Customer: Ok
Customer: How long till it should go away?
Dr. A. Clark :

That depends on the cause as poison ivy can take a week or more. If it was just the sauce and she bathed quickly then perhaps only a couple of days with the topical steroid cream, such as Cortaid.

Customer: Ok thank you!!!
I hope your child is doing well but if you ever have any other problems for which you'd like my advice please feel free to reply here or with a new question, asking for me by name. Have a great day and my best to your family.