Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

my son started coughing Friday last week. temperature was about

my son started coughing Friday last week. temperature was about 37.5 to 37.8 which after a couple of dsays was back to normal.

anyways, we took him to a local doctor who prescribed Mucosolvan and Zyrtec Cetirizine Dihydrochloride. also some sea water nasal spray.

However, we used only Mucosolvan for about 3 days but did not give him the other prescription. his cough persisted after 3 days. we started hearing some muffled sounds coming from his lungs and coughs. so we started giving him the Cetirizine as well 2-3 days ago. we continue to hear the muffled sounds.

are we going the right direction. any changes you would suggest??
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

A cough is never due to allergies and therefore the Zyrtec is not going to help that. Since he's not had much fever you may continue to give him the Mucosalvan but if his fever runs higher I would take him back in to be examined again.

Dr. A. Clark :

A cool mist humidifier at night will help as well but again, if his cough persists beyond a week or he starts running fever I would return to the doctor.

Dr. A. Clark :

I see you are in chat but have not replied. I'll stand by for any questions you might have.

Customer:

he has not had any more fevers so far. in Shanghai, it is hot and humid so we mainly pump the room full of AC. but also I hear the indoor pollutants (e.g. mold and mildew) may be a problem although I

Customer:

am not sure if that is why she prescribed the cetirizine

Customer:

so even though has had the cough for more than a week and now has this muffling sound from his chest, we do not have to worry if he is without a fever, right?

Customer:

we should just try to alleviate the symptoms with a cool humidifier. I also have a nebulizer that I can add sodium chloride for him to breath. what do you think?

Customer:

hello

Dr. A. Clark :

As long as she does not have any fever she should be fine. A cool mist humidifier is helpful when he is sleeping and you may try the nebulizer as well as that might loosen his mucous in his chest.

Dr. A. Clark :

Sorry, I meant he.

Customer:

I can see that he has phlegm and he coughs it up. but he does not know how to spit it out so he just swallows it back up

Customer:

he is also crying more than usual.

Customer:

or maybe whines

Dr. A. Clark :

That's ok and not going to hurt him. If he doesn't have fever then just keep doing what you can for the mucous. Fever would indicate a secondary infection and he should be examined. If he continues to be fussy and crying more and more then take him in anyway.

Dr. A. Clark :

Did you have any other questions. I'm standing by and happy to assist you but chat times us out every 4 minutes if we don't "chat".

Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience: 33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
I hope your child is doing well but if you ever have any other problems for which you'd like my advice please feel free to reply here or with a new question, asking for me by name. Have a great day and my best to your family.