Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.

My 14 year old son got hit in the neck playing basketball last

My 14 year old son got hit in the neck playing basketball last night. Initially he had difficulty breathing but was able to recover his breathing. It immediately efcted his voice. Today he still has some pain and his voice is still effected but no difficulty breathing or swallowing.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

It might not be a bad idea to have someone take a look at him as his injury could be serious. With a sudden injury to the neck there are several things that come to mind but with his voice affected I'm concerned about an injury to the pharynx (throat) or even the laryngeal nerve that could have caused paralysis of his vocal cords.

Dr. A. Clark :

I would have some one look at him soon though if he is not having any trouble breathing or swallowing it is less likely he has a spinal injury but he need to have his reflexes and cranial nerves tested an any physician can do that.

Customer: Is this something that he would need to go into urgent care ASAP? What ar
Customer: What are the risks to waiting and seeing how he does for the weekend?
Dr. A. Clark :

If he is not having any pain or numbness in his arms or legs, difficulty walking or using his fingers and hands, breathing and swallowing ok, then you can just observe for now as he might just have what they call in sports a "stinger". If he begins having any of the above symptoms then take him in immediately.

I hope your child is doing well but if you ever have any other problems for which you'd like my advice please feel free to reply here or with a new question, asking for me by name. Have a great day and my best to your family.