doc4kids
doc4kids, Pediatrician
Experience:  General Pediatrics and Pediatric Emergency Medicine
9470432

Both of my boys have had several mosquito bites over the past

Both of my boys have had several mosquito bites over the past few days...quite a few actually...The majority of them are healing and looking better then they had but my 5 yr old has one or something that doesnt really look like a mosquito bite....Its very round and about the size of a dimb...reddened on the outside and what looks like some kind of water or fluid filled blister in the middle...Not sure is I should take him to have this looked at or not...He doesnt seemed to be bothered by it and he said he doesnt think he was stung by anything...any clues ?

doc4kids : Hello. How can I help? If you are available for a chat, we can discuss your concern in real time. Otherwise, I can just leave you a reply.
doc4kids : This is a common concern that brings many patients into see their doctor or ER. Unfortunately, based on what you describe, the cause of the bump may not be obvious. Almost certainly an insect bite but which one, you can't say. What you are seeing on the skin is his reaction to a bite and not a primary infection or result of any insect venom or similar. If this one looks different than the others, its appropriate to wonder if its now infected. As children, or adults, scratch at these itchy spots, they open the skin and cause a secondary infection. When we consider whether a bump on he skin is infected, we look for redness, warmth, tenderness and pus drainage. While you describe swelling, and redness is typical with insect bites, the drainage or clear or you describe blister ( which is usually how someone describes a clear fluid filled bump) this is not usually not pus. So if its not pus filled or draining, not tender or warm, it is just a reaction to an insect bite, perhaps a little more brisk than the others but a not concerning anyway.
doc4kids : If though you notice warmth, tenderness, pus draining, or skin becoming ulcerated, this would heighten he concern here and that should prompt a visit to your doctor. Or if he generally starts to appear ill, it may also be worth contacting his doctor. While this heals, itching is common and Benadryl (or diphenhydramine) can be used to help. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have other concerns.
Customer:

Ok thank you so much for your help and yes it does appear to be a fluid filled blister....so I wont worry as of yet lol

doc4kids : Typo sorry. While you describe swelling, and redness is typical with insect bites, the blister you report ( which is usually how someone describes a clear fluid filled bump) is usually not pus filled.