Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

Greetings, At what age the toddler should name and recognize

Greetings,

At what age the toddler should name and recognize letters and numbers? Thanks

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Hi. I see you are offline so let me go ahead and give you a link to provide you some guidance regarding language milestones in children.

Dr. A. Clark :

Here is a reference on language skills at various ages:

Dr. A. Clark :

Regarding letter and number recognition, as with language skills, there is a lot of variation from one child to another and thus a wide range of "normal". Not knowing the age of the child you are concerned about, here is a link to a good reference about your concern:

Dr. A. Clark :

I'll watch for your return to chat with any questions.

Customer:

Thanks so much for the links. My daughter is 22 months old and she can name more than 20 letters and name numbers up to 10. I was wondering if this is common for her age. She does not make 2 word sentences yet, should I be concerned? Thanks..

Dr. A. Clark :

Wow, and I was concerned that you were worried about her because she was delayed!!

Customer:

Is she advanced for her age?

Dr. A. Clark :

This is not common but a lot depends on their siblings and parents, being read to as infants and toddlers, etc. The fact that she recognizes letters is well ahead of her peers but the delay in 2 word sentences is not a concern. Just remember that the developmental milestones are a range of normal, not absolute.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm seeing patients but will be right back.

Dr. A. Clark :

Ok, back.

Customer:

Thanks. She had an assessment for early intervention couple of weeks ago and she qualified for cognitive skill development because she did not respond to 2 word commands. I'm so confused. If there was delay in that area,she would not be able to recognize letters. Am I right?

Dr. A. Clark :

Right. I don't worry too much about kids like her but it won't hurt to let them work with her as it can only help and will ease your mind.

Customer:

Thanks so much.You are helpful as always!!