Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

My 22-year old daughter has recently been exposed to the shingles

My 22-year old daughter has recently been exposed to the shingles virus - my mother who lives with me came down with it yesterday. Unfortunately I don't have any of my daughter's childhood immunization records, so I don't know if she ever had the varicella vaccine - as far as I can tell it was not a required vaccination during her childhood in North Carolina. We don't have any recollection of her having had chicken pox as a child. Her grandfather is ill and she wants to spend a lot of time with him, but I am worried she might contract shingles - do you have any advice? Should she get a varicella vaccine now? Thanks so much!

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Customer:

Thanks!

Dr. A. Clark :

It is unlikely she would have had the vaccine as a child since it is relatively new. The risk of catching chickenpox from someone with shingles is very low and requires direct contact with the lesions.

Customer:

Oh really? I had heard it was highly contagious - but that is good news. Do you recommend adults who haven't had the vaccine to get it now?

Dr. A. Clark :

She could not catch shingles from him as you have to have chickenpox first and even though she did not get the vaccine she very likely might be immune but could still develop shingles later. The good news is that shingles exposure does not cause someone else to get shingles.

Customer:

OK great - how do you feel about the shingles vaccine for me? I thought about it but it's very expensive.

Dr. A. Clark :

She should receive the vaccine for sure and if you are over 55 you can get the shingles vaccine to protect you (I did!).

Customer:

You're saying you think all my 20-something kids should get the varicella vaccine?

Customer:

And yeah I just read that the shingles vaccine has been shown to be pretty safe - so I guess even if it's expensive it would be worth it - does it last your lifetime or do you need a "booster"?

Customer:

(And I promise this was the last question!) Thx again for your help.

Dr. A. Clark :

If they did not receive it then yes, as it is a miserable disease for an adult!

Dr. A. Clark :

The shingles vaccine is thought to be forever!

Customer:

Ah - OK thanks so much for your super speedy replies! Have a great night!