Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

My 10 year old boy has some headaches and a temperature that

My 10 year old boy has some headaches and a temperature that ofte n is 99.2F. He has neutropenia and his IgM is 38. He is going to see an immunologist, onc/hemotogist, and endocrinologists next week. He is small! Should I be concerned about a major problem/ diagnosis? His red blood cells and plasma look good as well as his IgG and IgA.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Hi. Can you tell me what his white count and absolute neutrophil counts are?

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm seeing patients but will watch for your reply.

Customer: White cell is 2900, neutrophils are 820, igM is 38.
Dr. A. Clark :

His WBC and ANC while low are not dangerously so but obviously he has something going on with his immune system, especially with the IgM.

Dr. A. Clark :

Is he going to see an immunologist?

Dr. A. Clark :

Or hematologist?

Customer: Yes, in one week, but he is also seeing an oncologist / hemotologist. Do you thin it could be cancer? He is asymptomatic except for some headaches and ow grade fevers.
Dr. A. Clark :

I doubt cancer or leukemia with a normal red cell count and platelets, which I assume was the case.

Dr. A. Clark :

More likely is that he has one of the immune disorders, many of which can be transient, and the immunologist and/or hematologist can sort this out pretty quickly with some blood tests.

Dr. A. Clark :

His ANC (absolute neutrophil count) is high enough that he should not be at much risk for infection right now but certainly the underlying cause needs to be determined.

Customer: What do you mean by transient?
Dr. A. Clark :

Transient meaning temporary, and these are usually due to some infection or toxin, such as a drug reaction.

Dr. A. Clark :

Be sure to check with your relatives about any immune disorders in the family history as well as all medications he's been on in the past 6 months.

Customer: Thanks!
I hope your child is doing well but if you ever have any other problems for which you'd like my advice please feel free to reply here or with a new question, asking for me by name. Have a great day and my best to your family.