Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.

Can I get (prefer a pediatrician that has seen this a lot or

Can I get (prefer a pediatrician that has seen this a lot or a Family physician advice) advice on cases they have had concerning catching something from a dog? I just want their advice because I have a few questions and want to see if they have seen things that have been caught from a dog and how often. (Such as worms, blindness from worms, meningitis etc)
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

In my 34 years as a pediatrician I'm not sure I've seen but a handful of children infected by worms from their pets. Far more common is ringworm, which of course is a fungus, not a worm.

Dr. A. Clark :

The most common worm parasite in children is pinworms, which only infect humans.

Customer:

thanks so much for your help, I'm truly worried after reading some veteriarians zoonotic articles and am actually debated "not" getting another dog because of it, I even saw a lot of questions being asked about their dogs having meningitis ect

Customer:

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/22/a-furry-dilemma-sleep-with-your-pet-catch-his-bugs/
http://midhudsonvet.com/Page5.html
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6022a2.htm?s_cid=mm6022a2_e%0d%0a
These scared me silly

Dr. A. Clark :

VeterinarXXXXX XXXXXterature has lots of scary infections but the risk of transmitting any of them to children is low. I've seen only a couple of roundworms infections (ascaris) in children, one visceral larva migrans (toxicara), no tapeworms or others.

Dr. A. Clark :

Here is a pretty good overview of this and all come from exposure to dog (and cat) feces, but again, this is pretty rare while kids eating or being exposed to dog and cat poop are an every day experience!

Dr. A. Clark :

As long as you dog or cat are properly immunized and checked for worms (and treated) they pose little to no risk to you or children.

Customer:

I was one of those rare ones, three decades ago I had what I assume to be roundworm, I just found out the other day, my mother was telling me and this after I had been reading about all these zoonotic, I assume it was roundworms, my mother said they were as she put it "big ole long worms" in my stool, of course I dont remember but, I thought oh great, what if I still have them in me

Dr. A. Clark :

If you were treated then you would not have them still.

Dr. A. Clark :

They actually don't really make you that ill, causing a cough when they go through the stage in your respiratory tract and then passing worms in the stool. They are easily treated and again, I've seen a sum total of 2 kids with them after treating thousands of kids over 34 years.

Customer:

they could have lived if untreated?

I worry about a puppy because they say all puppies have worms and the breeder didnt give them worm medicine until 8 weeks old just about a week ago.

How would one know if they had the viscal kind? ever enounter the occular one?

Dr. A. Clark :

You would be passing worms all the time and have had lung problems by now if not treated.

Dr. A. Clark :

I've never seen ocular worms (more common in tropical areas and different worms).

Customer:

How do you check for visceral ones?

Dr. A. Clark :

Visceral ones are less common and only in untreated cases with a heavy growth of worms that can invade lots of tissues.

Dr. A. Clark :

There is a blood test for it.

Dr. A. Clark :

Round worms are diagnosed by a stool test but that is rarely necessary since the way they are noticed is passing in the bowel movement.

Customer:

so how on earth do people come to know that they have the visceral ones. Or suspect it to actually get it looked at. I had a cough for years but they did a chest xray and tb skin test, (i later took up the carpet and it helped). but that just popped in my head. On the cdc link it scares me because it says 750 or more cases of ocular larvae migrans if thats how its spelled not sure

Dr. A. Clark :

It can be seen by the ophthalmologist but is rare and a simple blood test can confirm whether you have it.

Customer:

my dog is actually older now and we've slept with her for years but when reading about all these articles that really scared me when I started reading those articles of people getting menningits, and campylobactor and then that campylobactor induced 40% of GBS and that scared me even worse drs think my husband had GBS etc

Dr. A. Clark :

It would require contamination of food or direct exposure and ingestion of the stool of an infected animal. If your dog is regularly checked by a vet then it would have been seen on the stool test and treated. If you are still concerned just ask your doctor to run the blood test and then you can rest easy.

Customer:

So I've actually started to rethink my idea of getting another dog from these fears. I've had one since i was a child but now im terrified and my husband says im just basing my decision on fears

Customer:

and i worry about sanitation of a new puppy as they do have accidents

Customer:

and if they are shedding worm eggs, i read it was hard to disinfect them with chemicals so i worry about catching etc during the deworming process

Dr. A. Clark :

Again, millions of pets and lots of worm infestations but this is something vets check for routinely at every visit and treat appropriately so as not to endanger the pet or their owners. As long as you properly dispose of their waste you are not going to catch worms as it take direct hand (contaminated with the dog's poop) contact with your mouth to infect you.

Dr. A. Clark :

I've seen countless children brought in by their parents because of concern the child ate dog poop and rarely ever saw an infection with worms (2 ascaris in 34 years and they weren't even certain where they got it).

Customer:

what about the dangers of sleeping with the dogs? Is this a valid concern? Do many kids sleep with their pets?

Also I am using organic things for fleas as mine has reactions to the pesticides, but I do have her on a monthly heartworm pill, though there are several months I skip to try and not be giving her things all the time. I have been bitten by fleas as we do see 2-3 every once and a while, then she gets her bath and I get the flea comb out. Not sure if there are risks there?

I hear you on the cases you spoke about, my guess, they were like me and ate a lot of mudpies!

I wonder what the chances are of dog ownership zoonoses versus non ownership, (being things frequent peoples yards etc)

I wonder if liposterosis (sp?) is seen a lot, and how on earth do you get menningitis from a dog like that one article? and all the really bad things...

Dr. A. Clark :

Sleeping with animals is not exposure to their poop and only ringworm from a cat is likely. Listeriosis is a very rare infection and not a concern for sleeping with animals.

Customer:

What about fleabites

Customer:

and how do people get menningitis from a pet

Dr. A. Clark :

No disease transmitted that I've ever seen. Just scratching and secondary infections from staph.

Dr. A. Clark :

I've never seen meningitis from a pet and it is unlikely.

Customer:

i think it was in that CNN article, thats a big thing that TERRIFIED ME! :)

Dr. A. Clark :

As with Lyme disease, a lot more sensational journalism to prompt more viewers than actually really occur.

Customer:

and i wonder where they get the number of 100,000 people per year will get roundworm, and that the majority of us actually HAVE worms etc

Dr. A. Clark :

Most who have it don't even know and it may resolve spontaneously.

Customer:

so if a family came to you with a new pet would you say no dont let them sleep with them or the kids or any advice

Dr. A. Clark :

I looked at the CNN article and what they are describing is random scary stuff that actually either was not actually proven or is so rare they had to look pretty hard to find even one case.

Dr. A. Clark :

They even point out that taking good care of your pet drastically reduces this already very low risk.

Dr. A. Clark :

I would never recommend getting rid of pets or preventing them from sleeping with children as long as the pet is healthy and has a good disposition.

Dr. A. Clark :

Chat keeps timing us out if neither of us posts a reply within 4 minutes. Did you have any further questions?

Dr. A. Clark :

I'll exit chat and stand by to see if you have further questions. If not then I trust you will rate my answers favorably when you exit chat as you will be given that opportunity.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Please remember as you exit chat to rate my service as that is the only way experts are compensated for their time! If you feel unsatisfied with my answer at all please don't exit but just hit the REPLY tab and let me know of the issue or question that you have. I will be happy to continue working with you and will do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek and I hope that I can earn an excellent rating from you.
If you have any further questions I hope you will return to our conversation soon. If not I trust you will accept my answer. Thanks.
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience: 33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX get all of my notifications for some reason. I just now got an email. We were chatting earlier. So you think it is safe to sleep with a dog? Or do you have any other advice because I think I may be NOT getting a new puppy because of fear of catching something. I worry about it spreading worm eggs from its bum or paws from where it walks all over my floors ect. I want to go ahead and rate you because I don't want to forget and you not get credit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went ahead and rated before finishing my question so Im not sure if it went through after, (my question that is) because I didnt want to forget to rate. But here was the questions: Thank you, I don't get all of my notifications for some reason. I just now got an email. We were chatting earlier. So you think it is safe to sleep with a dog? Or do you have any other advice because I think I may be NOT getting a new puppy because of fear of catching something. I worry about it spreading worm eggs from its bum or paws from where it walks all over my floors ect. I want to go ahead and rate you because I don't want to forget and you not get credit.

Also my worries is it walking around on the floor "while" being dewormed and what type of cleaner would disinfect while doing so, I had read chemicals were not very effective and assumed the doggy's lil bum would be spreading eggs everywhere ect.

Another worry I had was the place I was looking at getting one from used to breed exotic pets and I worry if there is anything that could be caught from thinks like that as the parents of the puppies would have been exposed to them a few years ago, they said they didnt do exotics anymore, but I believe it was kangoroos....
I don't see any real risk to sleeping with a dog as long as that animal is healthy and current on immunizations, worming, etc. Get a puppy and don't worry!

Unless you consume the eggs you are not going to catch worms. If it were that common, with all the kids I see who spend most of their time on the floor, I'd see wormy kids every day, and I don't. It is just not that easy to catch them actually.

The owners of exotic animals are not likely to spread anything as most of these illnesses are not spread from human to human very easily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks! :) I got very afraid when I read about the kangaroo farm I think that they had that was in their home at first with the parents of the puppies at one time, and started reading about kangaroo diseases, and got frightened I have to say... Thanks so much :)

You are quite welcome and I'd stick to the human disease websites.
I trust you will return to our conversation to favorably rate/accept my answer. If you have any further questions please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I actually did rate as Exellent. Thanks!
Thanks so much.