Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.

I have a question about my almost 5 year old. When she gets

Customer Question

I have a question about my almost 5 year old. When she gets excited, she outs her hands by her face and jumps up and down....is that hand flapping? Do normal kids do it? My cousins little girl does it all the time and ever since we javelin been around them I javelin noticed she does it.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 1 year ago.

PediatricMD :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

PediatricMD :

This is likely a normal behavior variant

PediatricMD :

It is a form of self stimulatory behavior,

PediatricMD :

that can be seen in some normal kids

PediatricMD :

and other kids with problems like Autism Spectrum Disorder

Customer:

Is that considered hand flapping?

PediatricMD :

In most cases, if there is no other significant behavioral problem

PediatricMD :

the child is likely to out grow it

PediatricMD :

Does she flap her hand ?

Customer:

What would be another significant behavioral problem?

PediatricMD :

Because jumping, bouncing & spinning are commonly associated with hand flapping

Customer:

No....sometimes she moves her whole arm up and down but she doesn't do the wrist need thing...

Customer:

Wrist bend thing*

PediatricMD :

Why don't you make a video and show it to her pediatrician, or post it to a private website and share the link

PediatricMD :

?

PediatricMD :

If it occurs very frequently, then yes it is a form of hand flapping/ self stimulatory behavior

Customer:

Like maybe two or 3 times a week....not always when she gets excited.

PediatricMD :

Alright,

PediatricMD :

It seems that a wait & watch approach is reasonable in this situation

PediatricMD :

And if possible a video may be helpful too

Customer:

She always excelled other milestones....people comment all the time on how smart she is. Total strangers that hear her talking to us while we are shopping, eating, etc.

PediatricMD :

Right

Customer:

But I ask her does she do other bc her little cousin does and she respond...yes. she didn't do it till they started playing together. Could she be mimicking her?

PediatricMD :

As I said, it does not seem to be a serious problem, possibly a mild form of hand flapping, that will resolve with the passage of time,

PediatricMD :

Possible, but if it happens even in the absence of the cousin, then could be a spontaneous expression of her behavior

Customer:

Huh?

Customer:

What is other serious behavior problems you were speaking of?

PediatricMD :

I was speaking about Autism like behavior traits that can manifest with hand flapping like repetitive behavior

PediatricMD :

This DOES NOT seem to apply to your girl

PediatricMD :

It just appears to be a behavior of an excitable 5 year old, that will become less apparent as she grows up

Customer:

Well when she used room get mad if we told her no she would hit herself or hit the wall with her head. But that only happened a few times and she hasn't done that in a bit. But she just wanted her way and thought that if she did that we would give in and when we didn't she stopped I guess. That's not what u were talking about was it?

PediatricMD :

No, not really

Customer:

You meant like delays and things like that?

PediatricMD :

What you are describing is fairly normal

PediatricMD :

Yes,

PediatricMD :

Again, I do not think that is a problem in your situation

Customer:

She is very defiant her ped said she's at that age!

PediatricMD :

:)

PediatricMD :

I have a 3 year old, and I agree

Customer:

So she could wither be mimicking her cousin or its just a normal stimulation technique? Do all kids have self stimulating things?

PediatricMD :

Many kids, especially the strong willed types .....

PediatricMD :

and the ones that bored easily and are intelligent !

Customer:

That's her in a nutshell!! Very intelligent and gets bored very easily!! There are several children in her class that are autistic and her teacher I'm sure would have mentioned something if she thought there were signs.

PediatricMD :

Right on...

PediatricMD :

Now you are on the right track

Customer:

So you were saying that the normal children who are very intelligent and bore easily. many of them have self stimulating behaviors?

PediatricMD :

Yes

PediatricMD :

true

Customer:

They want her iq tested bc they think it is very high btw! :-)

PediatricMD :

:)

PediatricMD :

All the best

Customer:

Were you answering "yes" to the question I asked about the normal children who get bored and are intelligent, many of th have self stimulating behaviors? Cause then you put true....

PediatricMD :

True

PediatricMD :

Is there anything else I can help you with ?

Customer:

True or yes? What I'm asking is when you said many kids, especially the strong willed type who are intelligent and bore easily do self stimulating behavioral things. Were you meaning "many normal children"?

PediatricMD :

This is getting confusing

PediatricMD :

Yes I meant many normal kids especially the strong willed type who are intelligent and bore easily do self stimulating behavioral things

Customer:

Ok!! I guess you were saying yes and that statement was true.. I get it now! Thanks!

PediatricMD :

Sure

PediatricMD :

Take care

PediatricMD :

And let me know if you need additional inputs

Customer:

So I don't need to worry and stress anymore....this just sounds like a normal 5 year old behavior?

PediatricMD :

Given that you have already left 108 positive ratings, I hope that I will get one too !

PediatricMD :

Yes it does

Customer:

When I was saying ppl say I should get her iq tested I wasn't meaning her peds...I am a pharmacy intern and all of my pharmacists I work for have said I should bc they see how smart she is! I didn't mean her ped! That docent change your answers does it?

PediatricMD :

No,

PediatricMD :

I still believe that it is normal behavior on her part,

Customer:

Maybe she got her smarts from me!! Ha! She wants to be a dentist!

PediatricMD :

So it does not really change my answer

PediatricMD :

LOL

PediatricMD :

I am sure she can do that if she wants to ...

Customer:

You didn't take the iq testing thing in consideration when you were answering did you?

PediatricMD :

no

PediatricMD :

I did not

Customer:

Thanks again!

Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience: MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I forgot one last thing.....autism I read is usually diagnosed by age 3 bc they learn how to speak mad hear...and then they lose speech capability sometimes. Considering she is 5....the Dr would have said or seen something by now correct??

Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely,
There is NO suspicion of Autism in this clinical situation,
Regards