Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.

My son is eleven years old and has never eaten foods such as

My son is eleven years old and has never eaten foods such as rice, meats, vegetables, etc.
His main diet is toast with peanut butter and crackers. When he tries to eat anything else he vomits. PLEASE tell me what I should do because he is now looking very pale and vomits and has diarrhea every other day. He has been to many docters in my country but they cant seem to figure out whats wrong with him. Please help thank you.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 1 year ago.
Hello
What tests has he had
What diagnosis?
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.
Also it would be important to know his weight & height, and his complete medical records,
Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He has been to many doctors here and they all say he's healthy and that we should just give him more time. At this time he is 11 years old, his weight is about 70 to 80 lbs. and his height is 172 cm.

Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 1 year ago.
That is good news,
I would still like to make sure that he has been tested for things like wheat allergy, food intolerance etc. but given the good height and normal weight, this appears to be less likely,
From your description it appears to be a form of food aversion / phobia.
There are two ways to handle this,
1) Get professional help with a therapist - Recommended since this problem is of long standing duration, & your direct efforts may not bear fruits.
2) Try some home measures before going to the therapist...
Here are somethings that may help
* If he does not eat nutritious food, tell him "Too bad". What is served for meals or purchased at the store is what we have to eat and if you don't like it go without.
Truly, our parents or grandparents wouldn't have put up with that behavior from us and they had a point. He's lucky that he's being provided nutritious food; if he doesn't like it he can go without.
Trust me kids don't starve when there is food for them to eat, he will eat when he is hungry.
You need to introduce a new food to a child anywhere from 8 to 15 times before their palette will get used to the new flavor or texture just be persistent. It may never be their favorite but they will eat the item without kicking up a fuss. If he has eaten his regular meal and is still hungry, we create a drawer in the refrigerator that has easy HEALTHY snacks if he's hungry between meals he can choose which item he wants from them and nothing else. He must ask before he gets any other food, the kitchen is not a free for all. Children are children they are not the people that make the rules in the home and as long as you leave all choices to them you are asking for trouble.
Create a loving supportive atmosphere, but try to create strict food rules and live by them. This can be tough & professional help may be needed along with family support to ensure this.
Adopt the "You don't like it, you don't eat" rule. Try to have the healthy snack drawer, as well as some granola bars, trail mix and other "good for you" snacks.
Finally getting him evaluated for eating disorders like Anorexia may be indicated if the growth is a matter of concern, or if the tests show abnormally low Hemoglobin, Vitamin levels etc.
Hope this helps,
Do leave a positive feedback if you found the answer useful,
Please get back for any queries,
Regards
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience: MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.