Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

I was told that my ears are impacted with wax. Do I need to

I was told that my ears are impacted with wax. Do I need to see an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist or would a nurse be okay to flush them out?

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Sorry, I see you are asking about yourself, not your child, but I can answer your question.

Dr. A. Clark :

First, impactions of wax generally don't cause any problems other than a mild hearing loss. Was this something you went to the doctor for or was it discovered incidentally during a general exam?

Dr. A. Clark :

Impactions are usually self-induced when people push wax back down in the ear canal while "cleaning" their ears. The ear actually cleans itself as skin inside the ear canal grows from the inside out, bringing the protective wax layer with it. We only need to clean what appears at the outside, not what is inside the ear protecting our ear canal from dirt, insects, etc.

Customer:

I am having pain on one side of my head but I think that is related to the TMJ, however, with both ears impacted, I would like the wax removed so that I can hear clearer.

Dr. A. Clark :

Perhaps more than you wanted/needed to know but I'm always cautioning parents not to dig the wax out of their kid's ears!

Customer:

Dear Doctor,

Dr. A. Clark :

Then in that case, if a nurse has an ear wash system available, such as one Welch-Allyn sells, then it would be great, or just repeatedly washing it out with warm water and a syringe.

Customer:

This question about the ears are about me, a 58 year old female, I'm sorry I asked the "just Answer Pediatrics", I thought this was the section for adults.

Dr. A. Clark :

That's perfectly fine as I see adults too and consult on JustAnswer with adult problems such as yours since it can occur at any age.

Dr. A. Clark :

If a nurse has the equipment then do that first. If that doesn't work your doctor might dig it out with a cerumen spoon or pick. Otherwise, an ENT specialist can easily do this in the office.

Dr. A. Clark :

I would still be using one of the over the counter ear wax softeners such as Cerumenex, Debrox, or Murine.