doc4kids
doc4kids, Pediatrician
Experience:  General Pediatrics and Pediatric Emergency Medicine
9470432

Hi, my daughter had a procedure in mid march this year for

Hi, my daughter had a procedure in mid march this year for TAPVR, (TOTAL ANOMOULOS PULMONARY VENOUS RETURN, how long after this procedure is a baby ok to fly, she is currently in the u.s & will need to fly to the u.k, I was told by the doctor at the time in the hospital it was 2-3 months, would you agree ?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  doc4kids replied 1 year ago.

doc4kids : Hello. How can I help? If you are available for a chat, we can discuss your concern in real time. Otherwise, I can just leave you a reply.
doc4kids : Yes, provided she has no acute complications, she may be safe to travel. If she is going for a visit, it would be prudent to make it a short one. She is at risk for complications, either arrhythmia or pulmonary vein obstruction and, to a lesser degree at 2 -3 months, post op infections or endocarditis. True she will be at risk for these things the rest of her life, she has yet to have a significant track record. If she is going to move to the UK, you should establish care with pediatric cardiology as soon as possible and carry with her surgical records, echo reports etc. Hopefully, she'll never have problems but it would be preferred for someone to be medically familiar with her before she does.
doc4kids, Pediatrician
Experience: General Pediatrics and Pediatric Emergency Medicine
Expert:  doc4kids replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there some sort of device I could keep at home like a monitor of some sort which can help check her vitals every day or every few days for me to know all is ok with her ? im worried about something creeping up one day & me having no idea of whats going on inside

Expert:  doc4kids replied 1 year ago.
Pulse oximetry or apnea monitoring are available but honestly, its likely that just being aware of her normal color, resting respiratory and heart rate would likely suffice. It's unusual for infants to have heart/lung problems and have these vital signs remain normal. I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do babies who have had this TAPVR procedure get a repeat of problems like this at some point in their life? if so approximately what percentage?

Expert:  doc4kids replied 1 year ago.
The anatomy, if she had the surgery, is fixed. While she could get the complications listed above, most do not. I imagine the rate of complications vary from surgeon to surgeon based on your child's ordinal anatomy and the method used to correct it; her surgeons office should have access to those statistics. I am sorry, I don't know.
doc4kids, Pediatrician