Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Experience:  17 years of experience in treating children.

5 yr old

Last weekend my 5 year old son was admitted to hospital after being found to have protein and blood in his urine. He also had a high temp, headaches and adominal pain and had been up to the toilet 5 or 6 times the night before. After 24 hours of observation and nil by mouth in case surgery was required, he was discharged without any diagnosis. He still has little appetite and tonight has complained about not being able to pee. Any ideas? PS initial thoughts were that he had appendicitis (thus the nil by mouth and placed on a drip), then it was proposed it might be viral.

Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.

Dr. SS :

Greetings,

Dr. SS :

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Dr. SS :

I am Dr. SS. I will try my best to help you.

Dr. SS :

When did he last pass urine?

Customer:

This evening about 7.30 pm NZ time (that's about 3 1/2 hours ago). but he sat at the toilet for a long time saying nothing was coming even though he felt like he wanted to pee.

Dr. SS :

Which tests were done in the hospital?

Customer:

Blood tests which we were told were inconclusive but 'promising'. They also indicated were do a culture but we have not received any results from this as yet.

Dr. SS :

Did he have any scan or ultrasound in hospital?

Customer:

Another piece of info that may be relevant, about 2 months ago I was called to his school as he had become unusually withdrawn and was curled up in pain - which when I asked where it was he pointed to his right side. He was unable to walk, took him to the Dr and after an hour of waiting he said he no longer in pain. At that time the dr thought he may have a grumbling appendix.

Customer:

Re your question - no, no scan or ultrasound was performed.

Dr. SS :

How is pain now?

Customer:

He is not complaining of any pain, just not himself and telling me he can't pee properly. The most common reply I get when he appears to be in pain is that "my brain hurts".

Dr. SS :

Is there any swelling or distension of lower abdomen above the pubic area?

Customer:

No.

Dr. SS :

How is his fluid intake?

Customer:

Its okay - whilst he not keen on eating much, he is drinking water - nor more or less than normal.

Dr. SS :

When there is protein & blood in urine, I would suggest to have further tests to rule out kidney disease.

Dr. SS :

An ultrasound examination of abdomen or CT scan can be taken to see the condition of the kidney, bladder.

Dr. SS :

Sometimes a stone can cause pain.

Dr. SS :

This can cause blood to be present in the urine.

Dr. SS :

A stone can cause obstruction in urine flow.

Dr. SS :

Did he have blood tests like urea or creatinine?

Customer:

Would the blood tests have provided any indication of kidney disease if it were present?

Dr. SS :

Yes, they would provide indication of kidney disease, if abnormal.

Dr. SS :
I shall try to give you excellent service.

If you need any more help please let me know.
Customer:

Unfortunately we were away from home when this all occured at the weekend so was admitted to a hospital out of our local area. From what you saying it might be useful for me to follow-up tomorrow to ensure that the blood test results are forwarded to our GP so I can get more detailed info about the tests and results, and if P continues to be unwell, ask for a CT scan - would rather err on the side of caution!

Dr. SS :

Yes, you need to follow it up.

Customer:

Thanks for your assistance.

Dr. SS :

It is better to be on the safe side.

Dr. SS :
You are welcome.
Dr. SS :
Please leave an excellent rating if you are satisfied with my answer.

Wish his healthy life and early recovery.

Warm Regards.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Experience: 17 years of experience in treating children.