Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark , Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

If a 1 year old presented with the following out of range blood

If a 1 year old presented with the following out of range blood values, what would your likely diagnosis/follow up be?
Carbon Dioxide 19 (norm 20-28)
Globulin 1.7 (norm 2.1-3.9)
ALB/GLOB Ratio 2.6 (norm 1.0-2.0)
Alkaline Phosphatase 401 (norm 124-341)
Bilirubin 0.1 (norm 0.2-1.3)
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Can you chat right now?

Dr. A. Clark :

You must be away from your computer so let me ask you first, why was the blood count done in th first place?

Customer: It was as part of an evaluation panel for celiacs, which was found to be negative. In addition to the mentioned, she was also found to have Lymphocytes at 66 (norm 40-65) and a Bun/Creatine Ratio of 40 (norm 10-28)
Dr. A. Clark :

These are all really normal, considering his age, and considering that "normals" vary from lab to lab and with age.

Customer: so no concern on any of these for a 1 year old?
Dr. A. Clark :

His chemistries are really normal and numbers below are not significant for the most part.

Customer: it struck me that the entire work up sheet seems to read out of range so I wanted to get a second opinion
Dr. A. Clark :

I would not give those numbers another thought if I were his doctor and would have done a better job of explaining the variations of normal to you!

Dr. A. Clark :

They only significant if very elevated and the ratios are off only because his BUN was probably 10 or less and his alk phos is normally elevated at his age as a function of bone growth.

Dr. A. Clark :

Again, pediatric normals are quite different and the ranges wider.

Dr. A. Clark :

Than in adults, I mean.

Customer: Thank you for validating that it is not of concern. Have a good night
Dr. A. Clark :

You as well.

Dr. A. Clark :
Please remember as you exit chat to rate my service as that is the only way experts are compensated for their time! If you feel unsatisfied with my answer at all please don't exit but just hit the REPLY tab and let me know of the issue or question that you have. I will be happy to continue working with you and will do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek and I hope that I can earn an excellent rating from you.