Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

Hi!! Ranger is 13 months now, and molars are coming in and

Hi!! Ranger is 13 months now, and molars are coming in and he is constantly drooling, fingers in the mouth and fussy pain. Haven't broken through yet, but up 3 or 4x per night etc. Have been using hylands teething tabs, and tylenol on occasion when he seems in a lot of pain, and bought some advil to have on hand also. This morning he woke with white sores on the insides of his cheeks, assumably from chewing on his cheeks in pain. Canker sores? Anything I should put on them?

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Hi. I've always had more luck with children's benadryl elixir for teething pain, as well as for mouth ulcers.

Dr. A. Clark :

For teething you may just rub a little on his gums every couple of hours as it works better than any of the other over the counter preparations. The other thing I used is the same prescription ear pain drops (AB otic, Auralgan, etc) rubbed on the gums every 2-4 hours, if you happen to have that from a previous ear infection.

Dr. A. Clark :

As for ulcers, it is pretty unusual for infants to actually chew an ulcer on their cheeks and he might actually have one of the little viral illnesses going around this time of year with fever, ulcers and a rash over a few days. If that is the case then you can mix benadryl and Maalox in equal portions and rub that on his gums and inside his mouth to relieve the pain. There is no treatment for the virus other than this and ibuprofen, which also helps with teething pain.

Dr. A. Clark :

How does that sound?

Customer:

Hello! thank you for the great information. If it is a virus, should I keep him away from other little ones? Or is it not contageous?

Customer:

He has no fever or rash....

Customer:

should I rub the benadryl on the ulcers also? Or only if mixed with Maalox? We don't have any maalox in the house, and nearest pharmacy is about 35 mins away (which, I can absolutely drive to) but if the benadryl will work to relieve the pain, or make the ulcers disappear also, that could be good.

Customer:

Oh yes, and would you not recommend alternating the tylenol and advil? Just better to rub the benadryl on the gums every few hours?

Customer:

oh shoot, did I miss you?

Customer:

Are you still there?

Dr. A. Clark :

Sorry, I had some sick kids to see at my office and just got back.

Dr. A. Clark :

You may use the benadryl directly on the ulcers but it might sting a bit at first

Dr. A. Clark :

If he has lots of ulcers then he is likely contagious so it might be good to keep him away for a couple of days.

Dr. A. Clark :

Just use ibuprofen only as it is a better pain reliever anyway.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'll watch for you to reply as I'm at my computer and online the rest of the evening.

Dr. A. Clark :

Sorry again about the delay.