Dr. Navitsky
Dr. Navitsky , Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  US Pediatrician licensed in California living abroad.
60732142

Hello, My 9 month old daughter refuses to take milk (formula

Hello, My 9 month old daughter refuses to take milk (formula or cows milk- I understand that cows milk shouldn't be given till the child is 12 months old due to risk of allergies, but we've tried it and she doesn't have any allergies). She is currently breastfed. I want to wean her from the breast but we've tried every means available (alternating sippy cups etc) for her to switch to another milk supply, but she completely refuses. I don't want to force feed her. My question is - Is milk very important for infants to have ? If I wean her from breastfeeding, and she doesn't take any other supply of milk, is that ok ? or would I need to continue breastfeeding till she has become accustomed to another supply of milk.
Thanks.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Navitsky replied 3 years ago.

Jnavits12 :

Hi there are you available to chat?

Jnavits12 :

Yes in short milk is important for babies at her age still and remains an important source of nutrients really through childhood but especially more until about 2.

Jnavits12 :

May I ask why you want to wean her from the breast? Congrats by the way at lasting until 9 months :)!

Jnavits12 :

In addition what formula have you tried? It is too early for straight cow's milk until she is close to 12 months due to the vitamin/mineral content in it being less than ideal for what she needs.

Jnavits12 :

However she is allowed to have yogurt. Have you tried any yogurts? In the UK you probably have the "baby yogurts" that are made with formula available right?

Customer:

I shall be starting work and I feel she is quite dependent on me.

Customer:

We have tried Aptamil, Hipp Organic formula

Customer:

We do give her organic natural yogurt. I haven't really seen any baby yogurts

Customer:

She does like yogurt quite a bit

Jnavits12 :

When are you starting to work and what will your schedule be like? You can do some partial bfeeding when she is with you and maybe a few yogurts a day and this would be more than enough. Most babies her age start to self wean anyways taking maybe 4-6x a day and gradually reducing it as she takes more food in. Let me look on the Dannon page hold on...

Customer:

I think Dannon is a US brand

Jnavits12 :

The dependence by the way may not be just bfeeding but that she is attached to you as is natural and normal at her age....but 9 months of having to be there every day to bfeed is hard for you!

Jnavits12 :

I am in Spain and there are a few brands that carry baby yogurts including dannone which in the US is Dannon but same company...

Jnavits12 :

Nestle also has one.

Customer:

I see

Jnavits12 :

So in the US we have this great organic label called yobaby that has a version with iron and vit D which is great but these are actually made with formula (thus coming with all of the nutrition in the formula!) only prob is that they are not organic but are a great way to ensure enough iron and vit D mainly for babies who won't take as much formula.

Jnavits12 :

Many babies actually start reducing their formula intake around this time as well when they discover that other things taste better.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

what would you suggest then ?

Customer:

whats the best thing to do

Customer:

We havent given her the bottle, she directly switched to cups, not sure what other way I could give her milk

Jnavits12 :

So if you can hang on a few more months before you wean actually it would be beneficial to both of you. You can just not pump when at work and instead offer formula in a sippy even though you know she won't drink it maybe when not with you you will be surprised....many babies will say no thank you when they hear or smell mama whose milk tastes much better! You can also just give her water if you don't want to deal with formula when you work...great no bottles!! Means no need to take them away in a few months good for you!

Customer:

I see

Jnavits12 :

If you bfeed before leaving work after you wake up, when you come home from work and before bed that is 3 "servings"...you can add in yogurt 2x a day and that will be plenty in terms of Ca as long as it is fortified with vit D you should be ok. Look for whole milk yogurt for her.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

good thanks for this

Jnavits12 :

Otherwise include meat and veggies and fruits/cereal in her diet and she should be covered nutritionally just fine!

Customer:

so in other words try weaning her when she is about 12 months old ?

Jnavits12 :

But even better shop the yogurt section to see if anyone has "formula yogurts" as (once you get over the fact that they are made with formula!) they are a great way to get some vitamins in. Yes actually if you start this way it is more of a natural gradual wean....when she hits 12 mo you can take away the afternoon bfeed as it is the easiest to drop when she is up and active...then the others and presto she is weaned.

Jnavits12 :

Danone doesn't seem to have the same yogurts we have here but they are the producers of aptamil by the way.

Customer:

Great !!! Thanks for the tips

Jnavits12 :

You are welcome best of luck to you!! Feel free to come back to this thread even after rating if you need anything more as bfeeding is an area that I know well. Have a great night!!

Customer:

Thanks so much for your help...really appreciate it.