Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

6yr old girl has stomach pains on the upper left side no fever

6yr old girl has stomach pains on the upper left side no fever until today has nausea and diarrhea mostly at late afternoon and night eats and drinks normally for her cries at loud when stomach hurts then eases off almost like a cramp goes to school comes about 4pm it starts and goes almost 4/5 hrs. has been suggested could be uclser so have been giving her antacid has done no good
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

How long has this been going on?

Dr. A. Clark :

Are you able to chat now?

Customer:

1 week today and yes i can chat now but i'm the grandmother trying to help the mother

Dr. A. Clark :

With it being on the left side it is very unlikely to be related to an ulcer (upper right side, heartburn, etc.) and much more likely due to a stomach virus.

Dr. A. Clark :

We are seeing quite a bit of that right now and it generally lasts about a week, has nausea, vomiting, lots of stomach cramps and diarrhea, with any combination of those symptoms in any order.

Dr. A. Clark :

I would just give her clear liquids for now (Gatorade) and tylenol/motrin but if her cramps continue there is a prescription medication that can be given by her doctor for cramping to help.

Customer:

even if she fine and playing during the day it still could be a virus?

Customer:

will he be back

Dr. A. Clark :

Yes, it can come and go for a week or more and it sounds like she is in the cramping phase with intermittent pain.

Dr. A. Clark :

As I said, there is a prescription medication called hyoscyamine (Anaspaz, Levsin, etc) that helps but her doctor or a clinic would have to prescribe that and it is taken just when the cramps occur, helping for up to 6 hours to relieve them.

Dr. A. Clark :

As long as she is drinking adequate fluids she will not get dehydrated and should be over this in another day or so.

Customer:

yes she has intermittent pain when it hits it hits hard and she bows inward when it is over she can straighten out

Dr. A. Clark :

That is typical and certainly painful but there is nothing over the counter that can help this I'm afraid.

Dr. A. Clark :

If she cannot sleep or begins vomiting again and can't keep anything down I suggest she be seen by a clinic or at the ER to be safe.

Dr. A. Clark :

I understand your concern as I'm a grandparent of 6 myself but on the weekend I'm afraid her doctor is likely not available (they keep banker's hours these days) so she would need to be seen in an urgent care clinic or ER if she gets worse.

Customer:

she saw her doc last thurd. he took blood from her finger and said that her platelets where slightly low

Dr. A. Clark :

That doesn't mean much as a blood count really does not add any more information that a good history and physical exam! Platelets can go up and down in infections, especially with viral infections when they are often low and this is certainly a virus.

Customer:

thank you we will try your suggestion w/the Gatorade for a day or 2 hopefully she better tomorrow.

Dr. A. Clark :

You are quite welcome and while painful it is not dangerous and you don't need to worry about appendicitis, ulcers, etc.

Dr. A. Clark :

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. A. Clark :
Please remember as you exit chat to rate my service as that is the only way experts are compensated for their time! If you feel unsatisfied with my answer at all please don't exit but just hit the REPLY tab and let me know of the issue or question that you have. I will be happy to continue working with you and will do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek and I hope that I can earn an excellent rating from you.

Customer:

thank you again and good night

Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience: 33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.