Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Experience:  20 years of experience in treating children.
9324755

My son is 3 months old and ever since he was 6 weeks Ive noticed

My son is 3 months old and ever since he was 6 weeks I've noticed a flat spot on the right side of his head. Ever since 6 weeks I've done what I can to keep him off that side. What I'm wondering is since he's still so young and I continue to keep him off that side will it fix itself or is it going to stay like that now?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.

Dr. SS :

Greetings,

Dr. SS :

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Dr. SS :

I am Dr. SS. I will try my best to help you.

Dr. SS :

Is it improving with change of position?

Customer: I haven't noticed an improvement. If anything, it's getting more noticeable.
Dr. SS :

Flat spot is seen in infants due to position during sleep.

Dr. SS :

It usually improves by its own if you take care to avoid positioning on that side as much possible.

Dr. SS :

You can wait a few more weeks to see any improvement.

Dr. SS :

If it does not improve then doctor can prescribe special helmet for your baby so that there will not be any pressure on that side of the head.

Dr. SS :

Try to put him on tummy if you are around and can watch closely.

Dr. SS :

Sometimes spasm of the muscle of the neck can cause the baby to adopt such position.

Dr. SS :

So he can get more pressure on one side.

Dr. SS :

Bony changes in the skull can be a factor rarely.

Dr. SS :

When he is awake please try to hold him up to lessen the pressure.

Dr. SS :

I would also suggest to show it to his doctor.

Dr. SS :
I shall try to give you excellent service.
Dr. SS :

If you need any more help please let me know.

Dr. SS :

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

Customer: I
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Experience: 20 years of experience in treating children.