Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

My son, who is 5, we had to pull a tick off of him. I dont

My son, who is 5, we had to pull a tick off of him. I don't think it was on him for very long, the tick was very small. It was on his back below his neck. Today there is a small amount of patchy red and a bump that is solid but not completely hard. Is this something we can take care of at home or what steps do we need to take?

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

You really don't need to worry I think.

Dr. A. Clark :

Tick bites are quite common, especially where I am here in Texas, and in 33 years I've seen exactly one kid with Lyme Disease, which is what everyone worries about it seems.

Dr. A. Clark :

That is really the only significant complication and it is really rare and usually only occurs when the tick has been attached for 12 hours or more.

Customer:

is the rash like look around it just irritation from the bite

Customer:

its not all over his back but in a very small area around the bump

Dr. A. Clark :

Most likely as the saliva from the tick is pretty irritating as that is what they inject under the skin to prevent blood from clotting while they feed, disgusting as that sounds.

Customer:

i will just keep an eye on it, because it looks worse then it did last night but he isn't complaining about itching or pain. he does say its sore to the touch but i imagine thats common

Dr. A. Clark :

Right. The rash from Lyme disease is quite distinctive, as this link will demonstrate:

Customer:

well thank you doctor i appreciate your time

Dr. A. Clark :

You are quite welcome.

Dr. A. Clark :

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. A. Clark :
Please remember as you exit chat to rate my service as that is the only way experts are compensated for their time! If you feel unsatisfied with my answer at all please don't exit but just hit the REPLY tab and let me know of the issue or question that you have. I will be happy to continue working with you and will do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek and I hope that I can earn an excellent rating from you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Did you have any other questions?

Dr. A. Clark :

I

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy to stand by but chat will time us out and kick us off after 4 minutes if neither of us posts a reply.

Customer:

No I do not have anymore questions as this time.

Customer:

I will be giving you excellent rating :)