Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark , Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

My 6 yr old is taking a basketball clinic. They do lots of

My 6 yr old is taking a basketball clinic. They do lots of running during practice. He gets a severe pain below his rib-cage however, and as a result, can't seem to make it through the drills. The other children do not seem to have any problem and can make it through the drills without issue. What do you think is causing this? And should I have him see a doctor?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

This is actually not that uncommon in kids, and even adult, as they build up their aerobic conditioning. The common name for this is a "stitch" and over time as her conditioning gets better it will get better.

Dr. A. Clark :

Here is a non-medical website link that actually explains this condition pretty well:

Dr. A. Clark :

As long as her health is otherwise good and her physicals normal (heart, lungs, etc.) no asthma, etc. then I suspect this is what is going on and it will get better.

Customer:

Ive heard of exercise-induced asthma. Could that be something I need to have him checked for or is it completely unrelated?

Customer:

deep breaths and water, to answer your question...

Dr. A. Clark :

It might not hurt to have her checked with a basic pulmonary function test, which her doctor might be able to do in the office or order for her.

Dr. A. Clark :

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm seeing patients but will check back with you.

Customer:

okay, thank you.