Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

My father in law had MRSA. He has two open wounds in his foot,

My father in law had MRSA. He has two open wounds in his foot, and keeps getting reoccuring staph infections. He won't give us a straight answer if any of these nwe infections have been MRSA. I am due in July with our second child, he wants to come to the hopsital and hold the newborn. What advice do you have for this situation? I don't feel comfortable with him at the hospital or holdinig the baby, or with much contact with me as I have a planned C-Section.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

You are wise to avoid him as he is certainly colonized with staph on his skin, which is why he is having recurrent infections and it really doesn't matter whether it is MRSA or not as staph is dangerous to babies and children anyway. Also, with you having surgery you don't want to be exposed to staph.

Customer:

So his infectious disease Dr says that none of this is a big deal and we are overreacting. Should I also be keeping my 2 year old away from him?

Dr. A. Clark :

Let me give you a link here to our website where I posted a "bleach bath" protocol for patients with recurrent staph. I would either recommend he use it or at least do it for your family from time to time after exposure to him.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm surprised an ID doc would say this and the fact that he is seeing a specialist means he obviously has an issue with infections and/or immunity.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX be great.

Dr. A. Clark :

Here is the link:

Customer:

Yes, he has uncontrolled diabetes and two open wounds in his foot.

Dr. A. Clark :

Here you go and there are two handouts on staph and bleach baths:

Dr. A. Clark :

I'd share with him!

Dr. A. Clark :

I suspect your OB would tell you to steer clear of him prior to your surgery too.

Customer:

Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it. Its nice to know that the mom instinct is good.

Dr. A. Clark :

I always trust mom's (and grandma's) instincts!

Dr. A. Clark :

Us men - another story!

Customer:

LOL. Thank you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Please let me know if you have any further questions and I hope your delivery goes well.

Customer:

Thank you.

Dr. A. Clark :
Please remember as you exit chat to rate my service as that is the only way experts are compensated for their time! If you feel unsatisfied with my answer at all please don't exit but just hit the REPLY tab and let me know of the issue or question that you have. I will be happy to continue working with you and will do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek and I hope that I can earn an excellent rating from you.

Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience: 33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.