Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

My 13 month old has a slightly red eye with a little bit of

My 13 month old has a slightly red eye with a little bit of discharge. No fever, it doesn't seem to itch or hurt. I don't have insurance, so I'm leery of taking her to a doctor just to find out it's something that will go away in a couple days. Does she need to be seen?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 3 years ago.

PediatricMD :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

PediatricMD :

If there is redness & discharge, she is probably suffering from 'pink eye'/ conjunctivitis

PediatricMD :

This can be bacterial/ viral ....

PediatricMD :

in case of viral conjunctivitis, it may be a self limiting disease,

PediatricMD :

however bacterial pink eye needs specific treatment with topical prescription antibiotics

Customer:

How can I tell the difference?

PediatricMD :

To be honest, it requires a medical consultation, however bacterial conjunctivitis would generally have more eye swelling, and thicker ropy discharge, that would lead to eye becoming shut in the morning/ after sleep

PediatricMD :

The problem in a 13 month old, is that it may be difficult to assess the symptoms as they are unable to communicate effectively

PediatricMD :

My gut feeling would be to get an evaluation, especially given the age, and the chances of spreading this infection if not treated soon

PediatricMD :

On the other hand, if you definitely want to wait, and the child has 'mild' symptoms,

PediatricMD :

One day waiting may be done under close supervision to make sure that the eye is not worsening,

PediatricMD :

and then you can visit a doctor .... as needed

PediatricMD :

..

Customer:

Well, it is a bit swollen, but there isn't a whole lot of discharge, and her eye isn't "glued shut" at all.

Customer:

Thank you very much for your opinion, I really appreciate it. I tend to over react on things, so I needed someone else who knew better than me.

PediatricMD :

:)

PediatricMD :

Part and parcel of being a parent !

Customer:

Indeed. =)

PediatricMD :

DO leave a positive feedback since the interaction was helpful,

PediatricMD :

This is the only way that the experts are compensated for their time

Customer:

I will, you were very helpful.

PediatricMD :

Let me know if you have any more questions

Customer:

I think that's it. I may keep her home for one day just to see if it's any worse tomorrow. If it's still looking the same, not better/not worse, I should take her in?

PediatricMD :

Yes,

PediatricMD :

If there is no improvement, then it is better to do this, rather than risk a bad infection ... with possible complications

Customer:

Alright then. That's all I needed. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a wonderful day!

PediatricMD :

You too ...

PediatricMD :

Bye

Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience: MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.