Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

I am 33yrs old and I have recently been sick a lot with sinus

I am 33yrs old and I have recently been sick a lot with sinus infections. I have had 3 since Xmas. Last week I had a sore lymph node in my neck and a couple of days after I got sick . I went to the doc and she said my tonsils looked awful. When I got home I looked in the mirror and noticed one tonsil is fairly larger than the other. Should I see about getting these out and should I be concerned about cancer?

PediatricMD :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

PediatricMD :

One tonsil larger than the other is quite common in many people, and this does not indicate cancer.

PediatricMD :

It is far more likely that there was an infection in the tonsil causing it to be more enlarged than the other,

PediatricMD :

There could be other problems like some inflammation, a small tonsillar stone etc. which may lead to enlargement

PediatricMD :

I would recommend that you get a consultation with an ENT specialist (otolaryngologist) for the exact diagnosis and possible treatment options

PediatricMD :

Tonsillectomy may be a good idea if you are having large tonsils, along with recurrent upper respiratory infections.

PediatricMD :

This may be even more helpful in case you have snoring, mouth breathing etc. where in removing the tonsils & adenoids may help you recover from all the above conditions,

PediatricMD :

Warm regards

Customer:

I have been a social smoker off and on for 10yrs. Been quit for 3 months. Would the does lymph node be a sign of cancer and do u think that I would have other symptoms if it were cancer

Customer:

Sorry. Sore nodes