Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp

My little one is 2yrs/9 months old. Never really been sick,

My little one is 2yrs/9 months old. Never really been sick, no allergies. Last night started throwing up. Took her to the ER in the middle of the night. They shuffled us out the door after she kept a popsicle down for 10 minutes. We got to the car and she threw that up too. By then, her Pedi was open and I took her over. He said it was probably a virus and would run it's course. I took her home, she's ate nothing today and vomit's any attempt to drink anything, and vomits even when she doesn't- over 60 times since we came home around noon. I was desperately just looking for some zofran leftover from her last neaseau spell, but I couldn't find it and the 24 hour Pharmacy didn't have a refill on it. The Dr. on call isn't taking calls (answering service says he's on night mode and only taking calls from the hospitals). She's had 5 bath's tonight and we're out of anything clean for bedding. Most of all, I hate watching her go through this. Is there anything that may help the neaseau until her Pedi can call it in in the morning?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 1 year ago.

PediatricMD :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

PediatricMD :

The amount of vomiting - over 60 times !! is certainly not something that an over the counter medicine will help with.

PediatricMD :

She may require an injection to stop the vomit

PediatricMD :

and she may need to be observed in the hospital to avoid dehydration

PediatricMD :

I understand that she has been sent back from the ER,

Customer:

I agree but both the ER and her Pedi felt she didn't. What am I to do? I could cry I'm so frustrated.

PediatricMD :

but if she persists in vomiting, you need to get in touch with the ER again

Customer:

Persists as in how much more?

PediatricMD :

Well, tough to be sure without actually examining her

PediatricMD :

BUT more than 3 vomit in an our require the child to be evaluated

PediatricMD :

again in the ER since she may get dehydrated

Customer:

REALLY?

Customer:

She was doing double that at least while she was there

PediatricMD :

Yes

Customer:

Ok

PediatricMD :

So my advice is to get back to the nurse on call (if possible), & get the child back in ER as needed

Customer:

Nurse on call?

PediatricMD :

If there is such a facility at your doctor's office,

PediatricMD :

that a nurse takes the call

PediatricMD :

if not my advice would be to get her back to the ER, since the large number of vomits are a danger sign in this situation

PediatricMD :

at her age

Customer:

Danger of what?

PediatricMD :

Danger of dehydration

Customer:

Ok

PediatricMD :

losing too much fluid in the vomiting

Customer:

Thank you

PediatricMD :

You are welcome :)

PediatricMD :

All the best

PediatricMD :

I can understand your anxiety, since I too am a parent of a 3 year old daughter

PediatricMD :

Do leave a positive feedback , since that is the only way that we are reimbursed for our time

PediatricMD :

I am sure that she will get better soon

PediatricMD :

Bye

Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience: MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Dr. Yogindra Vasavada replied 1 year ago.
She has that rare case of viral gastritis where intravenous fluid drip is almost unavoidable. Please take her to a pediatric hospital emergency for evaluation and admission. Meanwhile try giving her antacid syrup one teasp. every hour and iced fluids, 2 oz every 10-15 minutes, or make her suck ice cubes made from pedialyte .
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience: M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp