Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta , Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

What are the Pros and Cons of giving probiotics to infants

What are the Pros and Cons of giving probiotics to infants with allergies and reflux? Our 6 month old daughter developed a cow milk allergy at one month old and reflux at about 3 months. She is now on Nutramigen formula since October and Zantac 1.3ml three times a day for a little over a month with some improvement, but is still spitting up 2-3 hours after meals here and there,still crying in between burping (which we do every ounce,) and the poor kid is teething on top of it all which I'm sure doesn't help . She is 14lbs 14oz., and on stage 1 fruits in the am, stage 1 veggies at night, 4 oz prune juice /1 oz chamomile tea a day, and 24-27 oz formula a day. Does not get cereals as it binds her up so badly.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 3 years ago.

PediatricMD :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

PediatricMD :

I am sorry to hear about your daughter's problems

PediatricMD :

I believe that a trial of omeprazole / lansaprazole may be useful in this situation in addition of what you are already doing

PediatricMD :

As regards XXXXX XXXXX on probiotics

PediatricMD :

these can certainly be tried in cases of allergies/ reflux.

PediatricMD :

However, there are limited studies in infants regarding the efficacy and long term safety of these products.

PediatricMD :

So while you may try probiotics, preferably in consultation with your pediatrician

PediatricMD :

You may not get very startling results, at least with short term use,

PediatricMD :

Warm regards

PediatricMD :

Dr Gupta, MD

Customer:

thank you for your helpful response. She goes back to the GI in about a week and I will ask about Omeprazole. Her pediatrician and I have discussed Prevacid in the past, however,he was concerned about the side effects it may have on an infants heart. Do you know of the dangers of using it?