Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

For pediatrics. How much egg yolk can I give to my nearly 11

For pediatrics. How much egg yolk can I give to my nearly 11 month baby?

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

For this you must have started giving him only white of egg for couple of weeks and found that (s)he accepts and there is no skin reaction (food intolerance).

Customer:

I have heard ppl say don't start giving egg white before 1st birthday, but egg yolk is okay. Is that true?

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Egg albumin which is clear protein, is in egg white while yolk consists of more fat than protein. There is problem of indigestion with fat rich yolk while white of egg is more easily digestible (like milk albumin). You can give full yolk gradually, starting with small portion and increasing after a week in small increments, to full yolk.

Customer:

I see. My baby is having great constipation now, in that case shall I stop giving her the egg yolks?

Customer:

And doctor can you please suggest how shall I do with her constipation?

Customer:

She often refuses drinking fluids.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

No need to stop yolk if baby is tolerating without skin reaction. Please increase half ground cereals (well cooked), brown rice without milling, coarse flour bakery, leafy vegetables (well cooked) and plenty of water orally. Some part of milk feed may be given in form of yogurt.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

A syrup containing lectulose compound can be given daily during acute problem to loosen stool and gradually stopped.

Customer:

Thank you so much for the information, have been helpful!