Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Experience:  17 years of experience in treating children.

Hi. My two and a half y/o daughter has been having extremely

Customer Question

Hi. My two and a half y/o daughter has been having extremely bad coughing spells throughout the weekend. She got sick about 3 weeks ago. Her pediatrician diagnosed her with the "croup", and she also gave her a one time dose of an antibiotic. she said it would clear up in a few days. it began to, but a week ago it gradually started getting worse and this weekend has been terrible. she's been running a fever of between 100 and 101.5. Motrin keeps it down, but when it's time to re-dose, it begins to rise again. She has a little bit of a runny nose, a mid-grade fever, a bad cough (sounds very tight and congested, but not like the barking she previously had from the croup), and when she has excessive coughing she vomits. I really do not think she has any type of stomach virus, I just think she is coughing so much that she gags herself. (my mom said I did the same thing when I was young) I went to Walgreens and the pharmacist recommended Delsym Dextromethorphan Polistirex extended relief cough 12 hour. She told me to give her half the dosage of that of a 4 y/o. I also got a humidifier, kids sore throat lollipops, and cough drops...... NOTHING is helping. Her doctor can not see her until Tuesday, and the closest Pediatrics E.R is an hour away. Should I wait till my appointment, go to the ER, or is there anything that I can do at home that can ease her coughing until she can see her doctor? Thanks in advance!
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.
Greetings,

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I amCustomer I will try my best to help you.

Was she checked by doctor after this recent worsening? Which tests did she have so far? Is she having shortness of breath? Which other medicines are you using now besides Delsym?

Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no, she hasn't saw a doctor since her worsening. She doesn't seem to have shortness of breath. she has been very lethargic however. Motrin & Delsym has been the only medicine I have given her.

Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the input.

I would advise not to wait till Tuesday for consulting doctor.

When there is rise of temperature again, it is likely to be a superimposed infection.

A bacterial infection, atelectasis, pneumonia can occur.

You are right that the vomiting can be from coughing & gagging. It is unlikely to be a stomach virus.

If you can not take to ER now, I would suggest to take her in the morning if she does not develop shortness of breath or worsening of symptoms.

A few tests like blood counts, X ray chest can be needed.

Please keep the room humidified. Please give her adequate fluid to prevent dehydration.

EXCELLENT / GOOD RATING is needed to get credit for my time and work. You can ask question regarding the matter even after rating my answer.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask to continue conversation by using REPLY button. This will help me to explain further & satisfy you.
Wish her healthy life.
Regards.
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.

I noticed you gave bad rating. Do you have any query which was not explained. Please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
he basically repeated the same thing I told him. he told me to use a humidifier and motrin. I told him first those were the things I was using. I don't know any more information than what I started with. I need to know WHAT else will help. in my question I listed the things I was trying and stated these things were not helping and asked what else would. I was given nothing else
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.
In case of coughing in such a younger age, you can not give much from the over the counter drugs. We usually avoid dextromethorphan in this age if it is not absolutely necessary. You can use zyrtec. This may help with cough. She is likely to need a course antibiotic for her symptoms. This needs to be confirmed by X ray, blood tests.