Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

At what age

(please pass on this question unto Pediatrics, Doctor) At what age can Cartoons be shown to infant? We don't want our child to be dependent on TV so we are very careful in our selection, and we prefer he doesn't watch at all TV. However he is 9 months, seemingly very sharp, but still does not utter a word, nor he seems to understand any word spoken to him, save maybe Mama. We think watching select cartoons may help his language skills. Please comment

Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

It is not recommended that children under 3 watch much TV as it is not interactive, such as when you read, talk or sing to them.

Dr. A. Clark :

TV is not that great for learning language, which at 9 months of age there isn't much of anyway.

Dr. A. Clark :

And certainly not a substitute for parent interaction.

Dr. A. Clark :

Here is a link to an excellent website on child development with the normal milestones and what parents can do to stimulate normal development:

Dr. A. Clark :

Take a look at this news article referring to TV and children under 2 as well:

Dr. A. Clark :

Did that answer your question.

Dr. A. Clark :

Chat times us out and kicks us off if neither of us posts a reply in 4 minutes so I assume you are away from your computer. I'll switch us to Q&A mode to allow you more time to reply as I really want to make sure I answer your questions.

Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience: 33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
I remain ready to assist you and hope you will return to our conversation so that I can complete our consultation. Thank you.