Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark , Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

penicillin 500 mg and hydrocodone

Dear Dr. Clark, I was prescribed penicillin 500 mg and hydrocodone bt-ibu 7.5 - 200 tab. Can I still nurse my 7 month old baby? I need to start taking penicillin ASAP, but I have postponed doing it out of concern for my baby' safety. I have not taken hydrocodone either as it is for after my surgery. Thank you.

Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 3 years ago.

PediatricMD :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

PediatricMD :

Since Dr Clark is offline, I would like to assist,

PediatricMD :

For a 7 month old baby, studies suggest that doses of Hydrocodone less than 30 mg/ day are likely to be safe

PediatricMD :

However, the baby needs to be monitored for drowsiness, adequate weight gain, and developmental milestones, especially in younger, exclusively breastfed infants.

PediatricMD :

And you should be weaned to non opiod analgesics as soon as feasible

PediatricMD :

Contact your doctor if the child appears to be drowsy or does not remain active,

PediatricMD :

but otherwise you can breastfeed the baby

PediatricMD :

Read more here

PediatricMD :

http://www.drugs.com/breastfeeding/hydrocodone.html

PediatricMD :

Considered safe while breastfeeding when taken short-term and preferably AFTER a nursing session rather than before.

PediatricMD :

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/512800/hydrocodone-and-breastfeeding

PediatricMD :

Please get back for any clarification,

PediatricMD :

And I apologize if you still want Dr Clarke to answer, I just wanted to provide you the correct answer as soon as possible,

PediatricMD :

Regards

Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience: MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 3 years ago.
Sorry I was out of town and traveling back home late last night. I agree with the expert reply above and never am concerned about the effects of hydrocodone taken by nursing mothers for pain in regard to the very tiny amount that might enter breast milk. Rather, my concern is for the effects of codeine and other narcotic pain relievers on the mother and the safety of handling a baby while on such medications.

You should not be concerned about having to take pain relievers for your own comfort after surgery as being in a lot of pain is neither good for you or your baby.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience: 33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX Is the penicillin safe as well?

I'm sorry I neglected to mention that. Yes, nearly all commonly used antibiotics, with the exception of tetracyclines, are safe during nursing but you should always ask your doctor before taking while you are breastfeeding. So yes, penicillin is safe.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very, very much! Have a great day!