Dr. Navitsky
Dr. Navitsky, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  US Pediatrician licensed in California living abroad.
60732142

I have a question. Are there lymph nodes located in the ear?

Customer Question

I have a question. Are there lymph nodes located in the ear? I know they are around and behind the ear, but I mean the actual ear?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Navitsky replied 3 years ago.

Jnavits12 :

Hi there

Jnavits12 :

There are no lymph nodes located in the ear pinnae itself (the cartilaginous part) but as you mention they are in front of and behind the ear.

Jnavits12 :

I am wondering why you are asking this maybe a lump inside your child's earlobe? I'd love to help you with further information if you feel that you need it so just reply and we can chat. Here is a nice diagram of the head/neck chains of lymph nodes...

Jnavits12 :

https://www.google.es/search?q=lymph+node+chains+in+the+neck&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=FNgGUZnUNtGQhQfXg4GABw&sqi=2& amp;ved=0CDEQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=667#imgrc=gmwQ-J8P-7n3IM%3A%3BrGaWG350JWNgaM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252F3.bp.blogspot.com%252F-zTeq_xwaLs0%252FTpcR6ABWckI%252FAAAAAAAADek%252FavINICSTQ7Y%252Fs640%252Fneck_nodes_perez.gif%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fcancermed.blogspot.com%252F2011%252F10%252Fradical-neck-dissection-rnd.html%3B560%3B533

Jnavits12 :

Wow what a long URL

Jnavits12 :

Hi

Customer:

No actually I didn't mean to ask in pediatrics. I have one at the top of my ear. It's been there a while, I'm thinking where it was pierced one time.

Jnavits12 :

Sorry your question was directed to us! But I can help you if you would like. If you pierced it up on the top the lump can stay for a very very long time even though the hole has closed.

Jnavits12 :

The scar in the cartilaginous (hard) part takes a very long time to remodel due to the lack of body activity in that area unlike for example your hand that has a lot of blood flow and a lot more going on.

Customer:

It's been probably 10-15 years. I figured it's either that or a cyst.

Jnavits12 :

It is an unusual place for a cyst so if you did have a piercing there at one time I would vote for that. However if it were getting larger or painful/red etc...it would be time for your doctor to take a look at it.

Customer:

Thanks! It doesn't hurt I just sometimes feel it when I rub my ear. That's all! :) thank you!

Experience: US Pediatrician licensed in California living abroad.