Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

My daugther who is 4 got the flu shot on Friday, January 25.

My daugther who is 4 got the flu shot on Friday, January 25. She has developed 101 F temperature today Sunday) and had 100 F temperature yesterday. She also has a blocked nose at night and maybe a slight cough that might be developing. We gave her tylenol yesterday (Saturday) and have given it this morning after the 101 F temperature reading and the temperature has come down with the medicine to 100 F right now (1/2 an hour after giving medicine).

We do not know if she is sick because of flu shot or due to some other reason. Today is the 2nd day after she got the flu shot. On the morning of Friday jan 25 she had around 99.5 to 99.7 temperature but we assumed our thermometer was inaccurate because we took her to pediatrician and she had no temperature there. The pediatrician did a physical exam of her ears and chest and said she looked fine. Hence we proceeded with fly shot.

In the last couple of months Amoxycillin has worked for her. What do you suggest we do?

PediatricMD :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

Customer: Cannot read your response. Can you repost ?
PediatricMD :

Apologize for that

PediatricMD :

Some problems in posting the reply

PediatricMD :

I believe that you can see this ?

PediatricMD :

Ok,

PediatricMD :

I believe that the fever may be a response to the flu vaccine, we have seen this in many children who receive the vaccine

PediatricMD :

OR this may be an unrelated viral illness

PediatricMD :

In either case, given the normal pediatric examination I believe antibiotics are not indicated at the present point of time

PediatricMD :

I would advise continuing to monitor her temperature, and reviewing with the pediatrician after 48 hours unless the symptoms worsen

PediatricMD :

Please get back for any clarifications

PediatricMD :

Warm regards

PediatricMD :

Dr Gupta