Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

Hello, my 9.5 month old baby visited doctor today, and doctor

Hello, my 9.5 month old baby visited doctor today, and doctor says she has chronic bronchitis. She coughes quite heavily today, and there is wheezing sound when she breathes. Fever of 38 degrees has lasted 3 days (it goes down whenever given paracetamol), and she is having diarrhea from the 2nd day.

Q1.) Doctor prescribed amoxicillin 250mg (5 ml) x 3 times a day. Shall it be 8 hours apart (and takes the medicine even in the middle of the night), or shall it be 6 hours apart (and skip the night time?) I hear it should be taken on time, so does the night time counts?

Q2.) Is the amoxicillin really needed? I heard that these medicines shouldn't be given to young babies or it just damages future health.

Q3.) Is the wheezing sound something to be worried? Will it turn to sth like asthma? Bit worried. I am using a inhalator for her. Will that cure the wheezing sounds?

Q4.) Can the diarrhea be related to chronic bronchitis? Yesterday she pooed 7 times with water. Today has been twice. What should I do to help her stop the diarrhea?

Q5.) Usually how long shall I expect her cough to be getting better? She is coughing so severe today.

Thanks!
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 3 years ago.

PediatricMD : Hello & welcome to Just Answer!<br><br>If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.
PediatricMD : Lots of questions, I can understand these as a concerned parent myself, and the fact that these are being asked to me during my office practice on a daily basis too !
PediatricMD : Let me try to answer them in a poitnwise fashion
PediatricMD : I hear it should be taken on time, so does the night time counts?
PediatricMD : You can take the medicine at ~ 6 Am 2 PM and 10 PM if you want to be really accurate
PediatricMD : for most practical purposes though, even 8-2-8 dose will suffice in case of antibiotics
PediatricMD : Is the amoxicillin really needed?
PediatricMD : I cannot be sure without physically examining the baby, BUT I do agree that in many situations these infections are viral and antibiotics may not be indicated
PediatricMD : Is the wheezing sound something to be worried? Will it turn to sth like asthma? I am using a inhalator for her. Will that cure the wheezing sounds?
PediatricMD : This may be a prelude to asthma, OR it may be a viral infection associated wheeze, tough to be sure at this age
PediatricMD : Inhalers would be useful if prescribed by your doctor
PediatricMD : Can the diarrhea be related to chronic bronchitis?
PediatricMD : The same infection may have lead to both these symptoms
PediatricMD : If the diarrhea is self limiting, no specific treatment may be needed
PediatricMD : Just plenty of fluids
PediatricMD : and light diet
PediatricMD : should help
PediatricMD : Usually how long shall I expect her cough to be getting better? She is coughing so severe today?
PediatricMD : The coughing can take many days to get better,
PediatricMD : for severe cough, inhalers, and even nebulisation may be needed,
PediatricMD : and even a trip to the ER in case it becomes uncontrollable
PediatricMD : Good to see you online,
Customer: Thank you so much doctor.
PediatricMD : please get back for any clarifications
Customer: So if i give her dose 10 am, 4pm, 10pm, that is absolutely okay and won't make the virus grow more, is that right?
PediatricMD : Basically yes
PediatricMD : As I said above, antibiotics do NOT kill viruses
PediatricMD : so antibiotic would only work in case of a bacterial infection
PediatricMD : but yes you can use it 10-4-10
PediatricMD : Do remember to leave a positive feedback once the chat is completed
PediatricMD : Let me know if you need more inputs
Customer: Thank you so so so much. Your help is wonderful. Will be leaving +ve feedback.
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience: MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.