Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

Any doctor OTHER than Louise Sivak to answer

Customer Question

Hi, I was hoping for some words of wisdom and some advice on probably the most popular issue asked. I have a baby girl who is 13 months old. She is still breastfed and has been a "decent" sleeper. She had historically gone to bed at 7:00AM quite easily, wakes up sometime between 2 and 4 to feed and then goes back to bed until 6:30-7:00AM. Of course there is the random nights where she does wake twice to feed. Around two weeks ago, we have run into something new. First, when we put her to sleep now around 7:30, she screams, sits up in her crib and bounces. We then have to bring her into our room, cuddle her for 15-30 minutes, then we put her down to sleep. However, during this past two weeks as well, quite a few nights now she is waking up to feed at least twice and won't go back to bed regardless if its 2AM or 4AM. This past night, she woke up at 245AM, fed then wouldnt go back to bed until 3:30, then woke up at 4:15AM, I let her cry for 10 minutes, she went back to bed until 5:30AM then screamed as well. This screaming in bed, not wanting to go back to bed in the middle of the night is new. She has most of her teeth and I usually know when teething is the problem. I don't beleive its the case this past week or two. Also, when we bring her out of bed and hold her, she is relatively happy and stops screaming. 1) What could be going on here from a pediatricians experiences? 2) Is 13 months too old to cry it out? I am a big beleiver in CIO, my wife not so much. 3) Any suggestions for me?

Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 1 year ago.

PediatricMD :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

PediatricMD :

There are many reasons why a toddler may have trouble sleeping, and these are predominantly related to physical and developmental issues

PediatricMD :

Your toddler also may begin waking up at night, for several reasons. Sometimes it's discomfort, such as teething pain or illness. Sometimes it's mild separation anxiety:
In your description, dreams and nightmares can begin to affect toddlers, who have a difficult time distinguishing these from reality. Be mindful of any videos or books he or she sees just before bedtime, and keep the content mild.

Look around for an environmental cause for your toddler's nighttime awakenings. Toddlers are notorious for not staying covered at night, so in the colder months you might want to dress your child in heavy pajamas for warmth.

Is there too much noise coming from an adjoining room? Toddlers will learn to sleep with some noise, but a loud TV or too much conversation close by can be disrupting.

Check out your child's room from your perspective. Make it someplace you would sleep soundly and chances are you'll make it more comfortable for your toddler.

PediatricMD :

The good news is that none of these appear to be likely related to a serious underlying medical issue, and would most likely get better with the passage of time :)

PediatricMD :

Please get back for any clarifications,

PediatricMD :

Do leave a positive feedback too !

PediatricMD :

Regards

PediatricMD :

Dr Gupta

Customer:

Thanks. Two things- can we try Cry it out at 13 months? Secondly, the baby refuses to nap in the crib. It always has to be in the car. What can we do to get her to nap in the crib?

Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience: MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
Expert:  Dr. Yogindra Vasavada replied 1 year ago.

Sorry about this problem. Cry out method is detailed in site : http://www.babycenter.com/0_baby-sleep-training-cry-it-out-methods_1497112.bc

With various phases of brain development, the sleep pattern changes so there is nothing unusual about her recent behavior. At 13 months though, too much feeds during night should not be encouraged. For that please give more semi-solid, creamy yogurt during day and a fat rich dish in last meal before bed. Such meal should prevent frequent hunger pangs.

There is another site : http://www.babysleepsite.com/ where a booklet is provided for detailed ideas regarding sleep training.

A natural sleep hormone (Melatonin) is available for use in stubborn cases having sleep disorders. It may be started at lower dose of one mg nightly and used in incremental doses as long as required.

Wish her good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think the wake ups are based on habit, and not hunger.

Can you really give melatonin to a 13 month old?

One or two mg of Melatonin can be tried. It is natural secretion of our pineal gland in brain.
Sleep pattern (habit) can change erratically till the baby is 3-4 years and has developed almost adult type of pattern. Wanting to sleep in car in preference to crib should be discouraged.
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience: M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp