Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

Our 7 week baby has been prescribed lansoprazole for his silent

Our 7 week baby has been prescribed lansoprazole for his silent reflux but since he has been taking it 5 days ago, he cries and seems in pain straight after his dose (we also think he may be a little constipated) and for a few hours following this. Should we persevere hoping the side effect will stop, or persevere? He weighs 4.5kg and his dosage is a fast tab of 15mg in 15ml of water, and we give him 5ml of this. How long should we expect to see the medication work?

PediatricMD :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

PediatricMD :

It may take between a week to 15 days for the medication to become effective

PediatricMD :

and the maximum effect may take up to 1 month, by which time most children will respond to the same

PediatricMD :

So I would recommend that your son continue taking the same if the symptoms do not appear to be worsening,

PediatricMD :

Let me know if you have any clafications

Customer: Thank you - so even though he is in pain because of this medication, we should give it a bit longer? Is this normal, and in your experience, will this pain subside?
Customer: As its not the effectiveness of the medicine I am questioning, but more the clear side effects suffered by the baby, who cries in pain about 10 minutes after the dose has been administered.
PediatricMD :

I understand that,

PediatricMD :

Unfortunately the medications that are routinely used in infants are limited as far as GERD is concerned

PediatricMD :

and among PPIs Lansoprazole probably has the best profile

PediatricMD :

I would recommend talking to your pediatrician, and continuing the same for the present point of time, unless symptoms appear to worsen,

PediatricMD :

it is possible that the symptoms will improve over the next week

PediatricMD :

Otherwise a change of medication may be considered

PediatricMD :

Let me know if you need more inputs,

PediatricMD :

Please leave a positive feedback too,

Customer: I understand its one of the most successful medications to treat GERD which is why we really hoped it would work - it's the side effect that we were not prepared for.
Customer: Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX keep going and see if we can get an improvement of these symptoms.
PediatricMD :

You are most welcome :)

PediatricMD :

we have seen gratifying results for a large majority of children

PediatricMD :

So I am hopeful that your son would do well too

PediatricMD :

Do remember to leave a positive feedback too !

PediatricMD :

Take care