Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

I am nowhere near a store. What are some common home remedies

I am nowhere near a store. What are some common home remedies for diarrhea?
Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.
The most important thing is to stay hydrated,
Drink plenty of fluids. Consume two quarts (eight cups) of fluids a day, three quarts (12 cups) if you're running a fever. Plain water lacks electrolytes, but it's a good, gentle-on-the-tummy option that can help you replace some of the fluid that you've lost. Other choices include weak tea with a little sugar, sports drinks such as Gatorade, flat soda pop (decaffeinated flavors such as ginger ale are best), and fruit juices other than apple and prune, which have a laxative effect.
Whatever you choose to drink, keep it cool; it will be less irritating that way. Sip, don't guzzle; it will be easier on your insides if you take frequent sips of liquid instead of guzzling down a glass at a time.
Look for yogurt with live cultures. These "cultures" are friendly bacteria that can go in and line your intestines, providing you with protection from the bad guys. If you've already got diarrhea, yogurt can help produce lactic acid in your intestines, which can kill off the nasty bacteria and get you feeling better, faster.
Rest for a while,
Take some broth, clear soup,
Avoid milk, cheese, and other dairy products,
Take more foods that are kinder and gentler such as soup, gelatin, cooked white rice, noodles, bananas, potatoes, toast, cooked carrots, soda crackers, and skinless white-meat chicken.
Chamomile tea may help, or even orange peel tea,
Finally, if available, drink fenugreek tea. This one is for adults only (safety for children has not been established). Mix 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds with water and drink up.
Read more here
Science has given the nod to this folk remedy--but this one is for adults only (safety for children has not been established). Mix 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds with water and drink up.http://www.myhomeremedies.com/topic.cgi?topicid=69
http://www.noeman.org/gsm/health-fitness/81195-35-indian-home-remedies.html
http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/natural-medicine/home-remedies/10-home-remedies-for-diarrhea10.htm

Let me know if you need more information,
Do leave a positive feedback too,
Warm regards
Dr Gupta

Hi [Customer Name],

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
[Expert Name]