Dr. Ficus, MD
Dr. Ficus, MD, Pediatrician
Experience:  17 years in private practice in the U.S.
45319925

My son has little red bumps on his stomach, legs, back and

My son has little red bumps on his stomach, legs, back and arms. They itch and look like a rash. We are unsure of what is going on and what to do. Some of the bumps seem to be going away, while others seem like they are just forming. He is the only one in the family with the bumps. The bumps are slightly raised but are releasing no fluids. Please let us know what they may be and what we can do to help him. Thanks!

Dr.FicusMD :

I'll do my best to answer your question. If you're available for chat, let's get started.

Customer:

Sounds good. Thanks!

Dr.FicusMD :

Hi! Rashes are always a bit of a challenge to deal with in this forum, but I'll see if I can help. If the bumps are fairly wide spread and itchy the most likely explanation might be bug bites such as chiggers.

Dr.FicusMD :

If he spent any time outdoors, especially sitting in the grass, this could be the problem. They tend to be discrete pink bumps that are intensely itchy and usually are in greater numbers at areas where clothing fits tightly (sock lines, underwear elastic, etc).

Dr.FicusMD :

They tend to look like this:

Full Size Image

Dr.FicusMD :

but perhaps not quite this bad (I was just trying to give a good example)

Customer:

His are much less pink. They are not hugely visible without bright light. They are mostly on his mid-back.

Dr.FicusMD :

There's a lotion called Sarna that is available over the counter and has an anesthetic in it that helps with itching. Hydrocortisone ointment is also helpful when applied 2-3 times per day. How long have the spots been there?

Customer:

They are not intensely itchy, but do itch. That is how we noticed them. He was itching and we asked him why. He is not itching now though.

Customer:

I almost wonder if it could be excema or something like that?

Customer:

We can email you a picture. Would that help? We noticed them today.

Dr.FicusMD :

Could be but eczema tends to be patchy rather than individual bumps. Almost everything itchy on the skin improves with hydrocortisone. I would pick up some 1% ointment and do that 2-3 times a day for a few days and see if that improves the condition. Yes, attach a picture here if you can.

Dr.FicusMD :

Can you post one here?

Customer:

It will take me a few minutes to do a pic, but we are working on it.

Dr.FicusMD :

Ok. I'll be here.

Customer:

We are trying to email a picture to ourselves and its not going through. We're still working on it. Sorry!

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Sorry! The pic is very dark. We got a good pic of the blotch on his back.

Customer:

We are trying again to get a better one.

Dr.FicusMD :

Ok. One more thought is something called pityariasis rosea. Let me see if I can find a picture for you. From what I can tell from the picture that might be a possibility.

Dr.FicusMD :

Full Size Image

Dr.FicusMD :

If it's very early in the course it might not be this bright pink and might not be this big yet. Typically it begins as small pink spots that you can feel but that aren't very raised. Over a few days there become more and more of them and they get larger and have a bit of a scale on them. They can be quite itchy. That particular rash is brought on by a viral illness. The kids usually aren't sick and don't run fever. The rash can get pretty dramatic, however, and quite itchy. It typically stays on the trunk but can be on the extremities as well. It usually stops at the neck.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Here is a new pic. The pics are showing up huge. I don't understand why. This blotch is on his back.

Dr.FicusMD :

Ok that's a little more clear but not consistent with pityariasis. It does look like a contact irritation of some kind. Nothing alarming. I'd go with the hydrocortisone ointment 1% 2-3 times per day for 5-7 days and have him checked out if it's getting much worse or if it's not improving. I think it will resolve without too much trouble from what I'm seeing in the picture.

Dr.FicusMD :

I hope that's helpful. If there's anything I've left unanswered be sure to reply. Once I have answered to your complete satisfaction kindly leave positive feedback prior to leaving the site. Have a great evening!

Customer:

ok. thank you. We will try the cortisone. Do we just lather him up all over? The spots are also on his scrotum, but not on his penis. Can I put the cream there? I am trying to upload just one more picture before I end our conversation. It is a slow process. Thanks!

Dr.FicusMD :

You can put it on the scrotum sparingly, yes. Just apply a very thin layer to the affected areas 2-3 times a day.

Customer:

Well, the other picture is not uploading, so i guess we'll just go with the cortisone. Thanks for your help.

Dr.FicusMD :

Ok. You're welcome! I hope that takes care of it!