Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

My newborn son is vomitting the milk that he is being fed is

My newborn son is vomitting the milk that he is being fed is that normal? We fed him twice and vomited both times.
Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.
Vomiting feeds / spitting up is generally normal in newborn infants.
This may be related to many factors including reflux (spitting up), excessive gas, improper posture while feeding, formula milk, allergies, or even a mild stomach infection.
Rarely it can be due to a serious problem like obstruction in the stomach/ intestines where in the child will appear unwell, have significant discomfort and would have persistent / recurrent vomits.
If you are breastfeeding the baby, I would recommend continuing the same.
In case of having started formula, I would recommend that you need to talk to your pediatrician for considering changing the formula.
A detailed physical examination by your doctor would help in assessing for the cause & severity of symptoms.
No over the counter medications are useful in this situation, so other than using simethicone drops for gas, and a tummy rub, and helping him burp, I would only be able to advise a visit to the doctor in case of persistent vomiting,
Please get back for any clarification, and do leave a positive feedback,
Warm regards

Dear Armando,
I hope that my response was helpful.
I understand that you may still have other concerns, please let me know if I can be of further assistance in helping care for your newborn baby,
Warm regards