Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.

My grandaughter recently went to the ER and they said she has

My grandaughter recently went to the ER and they said she has a yeast infection at a year old. They recomended we use Desitin max strenght creme. Is there something we can use to help with the itch?
Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

In addition, the following may help your baby feel better, speed up the eradication of the infection, and prevent it from recurring:
• Change diapers immediately when your baby's wet or soiled.
• Coat baby's bottom with a diaper ointment between changes.
• Avoid using diaper wipes with ingredients that may cause stinging.
• Let your baby's bottom dry thoroughly before re-diapering, and allow your baby to be naked for a time during the day.
• Avoid using plastic diaper covers. Instead, use coverings that allow air to circulate, or go cover-less if you're not expecting a big poop anytime soon.
• Wash cloth diapers, cloth wipes, towels, and washcloths in very hot water to remove all traces of the yeast. A vinegar rinse will complete the disinfecting process.
You can take any anti-allergy medication like cetirizine, unfortunately at this age it would have to be prescribed by your pediatrician,
Another option would be to add an antifungal / steroid cream for the same,
However again this would have to be prescribed by your doctor.
Let me know if need additional inputs,
Warm regards