Dr. Ficus, MD
Dr. Ficus, MD , Pediatrician
Experience:  17 years in private practice in the U.S.
45319925

My baby swallowed a small rubber band. What should I do?

My baby just swallowed a small rubber band. What should I do?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Ficus, MD replied 3 years ago.

Hi! I'm sorry to hear about this and I'm sure you're very worried. If the rubber band is just all rubber (no metal) and the baby is fine now (no choking or difficulty breathing or swallowing) there's really nothing to worry about. It should pass without difficulty. You can watch for it in the diapers but it might be difficult to find. If there was a metal connector on the rubber band it might be prudent to get an xray of her belly in a couple of days to ensure that it has passed out of her. The metal will show up on xray and this would ensure that it didn't get stuck somewhere and that the metal doesn't corrode over time. Of course if she is having difficulty breathing or can't swallow her saliva or drinks or food she needs immediate medical attention.