How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Ficus, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Ficus, MD
Dr. Ficus, MD , Pediatrician
Category: Pediatrics
Satisfied Customers: 733
Experience:  17 years in private practice in the U.S.
45319925
Type Your Pediatrics Question Here...
Dr. Ficus, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My baby swallowed a small rubber band. What should I do?

Resolved Question:

My baby just swallowed a small rubber band. What should I do?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Ficus, MD replied 3 years ago.

Hi! I'm sorry to hear about this and I'm sure you're very worried. If the rubber band is just all rubber (no metal) and the baby is fine now (no choking or difficulty breathing or swallowing) there's really nothing to worry about. It should pass without difficulty. You can watch for it in the diapers but it might be difficult to find. If there was a metal connector on the rubber band it might be prudent to get an xray of her belly in a couple of days to ensure that it has passed out of her. The metal will show up on xray and this would ensure that it didn't get stuck somewhere and that the metal doesn't corrode over time. Of course if she is having difficulty breathing or can't swallow her saliva or drinks or food she needs immediate medical attention.

Dr. Ficus, MD and other Pediatrics Specialists are ready to help you