Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

Hi, I have 7 year old boy/girl twins. Yesterday, I noticed

Hi, I have 7 year old boy/girl twins. Yesterday, I noticed my 7 year old daughter has under arm hair and not just light little wispy hairs. This was like my under arm hair when it grows out. She has had to wear deodorate since she was 2 as her underarm smell is quite noticeable and has a strong odor. She is has been unusually moody the past two weeks and I am becoming very worried about her. Should I be worried and what steps should I take to help her?
Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.
I understand your concern
What you are describing are signs of possible precocious puberty (early puberty),
This can be due to hormonal imbalance, and does require an evaluation with your pediatrician,
In many cases this may be a normal variation too, so no need to be excessively worried at the present point of time though :)
Please leave a positive feedback, and do get back for any clarifications,
Warm regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX of treatments are given to a child so young? What can I do to help her through this very trying time? I too, started young but at 10 with my cycle. I do not remember if I underarm hair like my daughter. She is very like me and I travel for work while my husband cares for her and my son. They start school tomorrow and I know you can see why I am concerned.

Absolutely,
I too have a daughter, and certainly understand your apprehension,
Treatment may not be needed actually, but that would depend on the results of the physical evaluation and results of hormonal testing.
Sometimes suppression of the puberty using specific medications can be attempted, the idea being to delay the periods for a few years.
A pediatric opinion and a referral to a Pediatric Endocrinologist would be important in this situation,

Warm regards