Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

hi there, my one year old son is having absence seizures,

Customer Question

hi there,

my one year old son is having absence seizures, is falling a lot and has now developed Esotopia from his left eye. He is a happy healthy and very smart little man.

My question to you is: A lot of my reading and research shows that only children 4 and up is the normal age however, my son is only 1. I am waiting to get him tested but the waiting period is killing me.

So, is it common for babies of this age to have absence seizures?

Thanks,
Michelle
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Ficus, MD replied 2 years ago.

Dr.FiscusMD :

I'll do my best to answer your question. If you're available for chat, let's get started. If not, I can switch to an e-mail format.

Dr.FiscusMD :

Hi! I'm so sorry your son is having this trouble. My first concern is that he get that MRI of his brain. Absence seizures are not common in this age group and are not associated with esotropia. I'm very concerned that he may have a lesion in his brain and this needs to be investigated as soon as possible. You will be your child's best advocate. Don't hesitate to push them to get the imaging done. He's require sedation for an MRI since he will have to remain still for a long time, however, they can get it done. I hope his MRI is normal and that this is truly just a seizure disorder that can be managed with medication but the MRI is an essential piece of the puzzle.

Dr.FiscusMD :

Please don't hesitate to post back with questions/clarifications.

Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX confirming my thoughts, i feel as thought this is something gterater and i want answers and test asap. I truly feel there is more going on. I will press some urgency. Can you tell me of anything i should be looking out at this time?

Dr.FiscusMD :

There's really not much to do in the meantime I'm afraid. Waiting is just torture, I know. His being off balance and having the eye deviation is very concerning for a brain mass and you just need to continue to press to have that evaluation done. I'm sorry I don't have better news.

Customer:

that you, i did need to hear this. thanks again.

Dr.FiscusMD :

I'd love to have an update from you when you get some answers. You can reply to me through this same question thread at any time without incurring further charge from the site, even after you've rated my answer. I will pray for your son to have a good report on that study.

Customer:

I will, you have been so helpful. I am glad i am not going crazy, my husband thought perhaps i have been reading to much on this matter. However, you have just confirmed that a mother's instinct is always right.

Customer:

i will keep you posted.

Dr.FiscusMD :

I agree completely. Always trust a mom.

Customer:

this is not fatal right, they would be able to remove the mass right?

Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.
Dr Fiscus is offline, so I would like to assist,
IF there is a brain mass, it may be treatable with surgery or chemotherapy or other treatment options,
However, we do not know that this is the case, & I would request that you follow up with your doctor with some urgency for an urgent neuro-imaging in the form of an MRI,
regards

Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience: MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

we at hospital, and mri is scheduled for tomorrow. hope all goes well.

Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 2 years ago.
I am keeping my fingers crossed too,
All the best,
Let me know the results as soon as possible,
Warm regards
Dr Gupta
I wanted to follow-up and see if you were able to get the scan and what the results were. Feel free to reply at your convenience.