Dr. Ficus, MD
Dr. Ficus, MD , Pediatrician
Experience:  17 years in private practice in the U.S.
45319925

My three year old is having runny nose, cough, sneezing.

My three year old daughter is having runny nose, cough, sneezing and watery eyes (cold). No fever, she is eating fine and playing fine, but coughing too much. I put some Vicks vaporub on chest, back and feet and i am using a vaporizer. Is there anything else I can do for her. Runny nose is clear. No yellow or green. I need something for the cough because I think she feels nausea with it because sometimes she gags like she is gonna throw up. But she does not. If she has just had her milk then just a little. Other wise she doesn't.

Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Ficus, MD replied 4 years ago.

Hi! I'm sorry your child isn't feeling well. There's not much that is recommended for a child of this age. The vaporizer is a good idea. You could give Benadryl (diphenhydramine) which would help with the sneezing and runny nose and is also pretty good at helping nausea. If you'd like to reply with her approximate weight I can help you with dosing. If she has these symptoms for more than 10 days without improvement or if she develops fever over 101 for 72 hours or more you should have her evaluated. Usually day 5 is the worst day of the cold and then things get gradually better after that.

Feel free to reply with questions/clarifications as needed.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well, about 3 weeks ago she started with a cold that she has had for 2 weeks and when she got better and she had just the cough left. Then she started with a new cold (she just started at a daycare a month ago). I am not sure about the weight, I am giving her Hayland's for cold. Its a natural medicine for kids, and I have little nose saline spray. Will that help?

It doesn't sound like the Hayland's has helped much so far. If she's average size for her age she can have about 1 1/2 teaspoons of benadryl (it should be 12.5mg/teaspoon but check the bottle to be sure). The saline spray is fine to help clear her nose a bit, but won't help the symptoms go away any faster.

It's not uncommon to average a cold every month when a child first starts daycare. So long as she has the cold symptoms for 10-14 days, followed by period of wellness for a week or two before starting the next cold, that sounds normal.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok doctor, thanks so much.