Louise Sivak, M.D.
Louise Sivak, M.D., Doctor
Experience:  Pediatrician, Board-certified in Ped Hematology/Oncology

experience with pediatrics and infectious disease

Hello, What is your question about your child?
Please post back with your questions when you're online.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is five days old being treated for throat blister....culture s been taken for herpes and is not back...three spinal tapsdone to no avail...under the circumstances is proper protocol being followed and should we allow another spinal tap to be done,,,,,baby exhibits no adverse symptoms

The concern with a five day old infant with possible herpes viral infection is viremia (virus in the bloodstream) and/or viral meningitis, which can be neurologically devastating. What do you mean by "three spinal taps done to no avail"?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
They were unsuccessful in harvesting the fluid needed
I am sorry that happened. Is your baby being treated with acyclovir?
Where is your baby hospitalized?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes she is....
Can you switch to Chat mode so we can communicate a bit faster? The reason for another spinal tap is to determine whether she has herpes meningitis, and if she does she will require a longer course of therapy.
Please ACCEPT if I've answered your question ; post back with further questions as much as you need.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes she is getting the med you alluded to, in westchester med center ny....we are awaiting the results of a throat culture will this provide enough empirical evidence about her condition. Please advise...thanks for your support
Depending on what specific testing was done on her throat swab (viral culture and/or PCR test) it may or may not show Herpes. It cannot tell you whether she has Herpes meningitis ; only a repeat spinal tap can tell that.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
To complete her profile, do you recommend that a spinal tap should be done,no matter what the culture indicates. Thanks again
Only a spinal tap can tell whether she has meningitis. If she has meningitis, she requires a longer course of Acyclovir to try to achieve cure and normal neurologic outcome, normal growth and development. If the spinal tap was difficult before, perhaps this time under ultrasound guidance?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you very much.....for your insights
Please ACCEPT if I've answered your questions so far ; post back as much as you need with further questions. I wish the best for your baby!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
One last question.....the baby is eating....sleeping...and appears to have no physical deformities...high or low fever etc,,l. Can a baby appear to be healthy and have meningitis. Thanks again..