Ask a Pediatrician Online and Get an Answer ASAP
Hello & welcome to Just Answer! If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.
I am sorry to hear about your grandson's medical problem,
It would appear from your description that he had a severe anaphylactic reaction (allergic reaction)
I would have to agree that this is very rare in an infant so young.
In infants PEANUTS are infact one of the MOST COMMON allergens responsible for anaphylaxis
Read more here
Other common allergens include tree nuts (such as walnuts and cashews), shellfish (like shrimp and lobster), fish, milk, and eggs are the most common culprits, although any food can cause a severe allergic reaction.
we are scared to bring him home tomorrow. We don't know what caused this. She has old rugs on the floor, two dogs, down comforters. Could any of this cause this?
Very unlikely given that the the child is already exposed to these things from the start
I understand your concern, and what I would suggest is that you ask the discharging doctor to try to fix an urgent appointment with an allergist
preferably before discharge itself
and then your grandson tested for the same as soon as possible,
The homemade bar she made had sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, oats and peanut butter in it. Could the nuts get into the breast milk or if she had some residue left on her finger that may have touched the nipple cause this?
skin allergy testing or even blood testing should be able to identify peanut (most likely) or other possible causes, and once you avoid this, you are likely to not experience similar life threatening problems
The breast milk residue is unlikely to cause this severe a reaction,
much more likely that he directly ingested some of this
Is it tested through the blood?
Both through blood and skin tests done on the back of the infant
If he is allergic to peanuts would kissing him on the top of his head cause a reaction too because she has kissed him before with no problems, but never on the forehead.
It really depends on the allergist, though most prefer the skin tests as being more accurate .....
Some allergies manifest more once the offending allergen is ingested
really cannot be sure without further tests
The skin test puts the allergy on his skin doesn't it? That sounds dangerous
early allergy testing is the ONLY way to avoid similar problems in the future ....
What do you mean manifest more
No, it is done under controlled settings, and with very minute quantities applied to a very small area - barely a needle prick....
I hope that the skin allergy test being quite safe is clear ?
What I meant was that sometimes allergens may only cause serious reaction once they are taken by mouth ....
you mean mouth only